Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam OS and Inv?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
BarryZA
675 Views, 10 Replies

Steam OS and Inv?

As a previous Linux user who had to convert for the sole purpose of Inventor, I wonder what the chances of Inv running on the new Steam OS is?

I don't understand the in-depth stuff, but if this Linux OS can run the latest and greatest 3D games, and it has support for graphics cards, couldn't it run Inv?

Or am I being shortsighted?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pball
in reply to: BarryZA

Since Steam OS to my understanding is a specialized OS for games, I highly doubt Inventor would ever get ported to it. Considering there isn't a Mac or Linux version already I doubt Inventor will ever work outside of Windows.
Message 3 of 11
mrattray

I doubt it.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: mrattray

i agree there is probably a 0% percent chance that this is going to happen any time soon

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

they would probably develop for the MAC OS way before the Steam OS

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
blair
in reply to: pball

All that matters is how many corporate desktops the O/S sits on. The corporate world runs Windows for most part with a small smattering of Apple's O/S.

Even Apple doesn't take the corporate world that serious, try to sort your contacts on a iPhone, to sort by Company first, then the individuals name.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11
BarryZA
in reply to: blair

The reason why I got into Inventor in the first place is because I consider myself a creative, innovative forward-thinking person. And as such I expect the tools that I use to follow suit.

As there is an increasingly large amount of activity in the area of FOSS of late, combined with projects such as linuxcnc, as well as a general trend towards cross-platform support I would expect Inventor to expand, not stagnate or contract in response to the trends that we see happening in technology around us every day.

I understand that I am in the minority here, but I do believe that this is the way forward and that as a customer I should have the right to choose.

So for now it's sticking to Window$.

Message 8 of 11
blair

It all comes down to dollars and return on investment.

"I don't understand the in-depth stuff" - The sole reason for companies to be in business is to make a profit. The cost to develop software is about the same for each O/S. So why would you spend resources for something that sits on 1% of the market desktops.

There is a difference from "Leading Edge" to "Bleeding Edge". I am sure the powers at ADSK look at Steam OS as a "Bleeding Edge" due to the limited number of desktops in their target market.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 11
LT.Rusty

@Blair wrote:

It all comes down to dollars and return on investment.

"I don't understand the in-depth stuff" - The sole reason for companies to be in business is to make a profit. The cost to develop software is about the same for each O/S. So why would you spend resources for something that sits on 1% of the market desktops.

There is a difference from "Leading Edge" to "Bleeding Edge". I am sure the powers at ADSK look at Steam OS as a "Bleeding Edge" due to the limited number of desktops in their target market.

Is Steam OS even bleeding edge when it comes to desktops?  Last I heard, it was targeted at consoles ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
mrattray

I'd also add that it doesn't make sense for a large for profit software corporation to encourage use of open source software.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
dgorsman

If they ever get software-as-a-service (SaaS) going in strength, I wouldn't doubt there would be a port for Steam, Mac, and anything else which can connect to the appropriate service.  After all, the goal under those circumstances is for a minimal front-end with all the heavy lifting being done on somebody else's hardware (along with the associated running and maintenance work).  But as it stands with the current desktop-centric environment, I agree - catering to a very small number of one-percenters purely for sake of ego ("We don't use M$ nyahnyahnyah") doesn't make business sense.

Might be kind of cool if there was a Navisworks-like port though.  Design reviews might run a little better on a gaming-style console...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report