Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Inventor with fix application options

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
michael_marx
5891 Views, 62 Replies

Start Inventor with fix application options

Is there a way to import application option xml file everytime in Inventor during startup? Like autocad with their profile option /p 

mima

62 REPLIES 62
Message 21 of 63
michael_marx
in reply to: matt.smith

Hi Matt,

i think the thing with the template path is a user right problem.

But the thing with the PersistentDimensionON Option doesn´t work as Admin User.

I´ve added the xml file which i´m using

Maybe its also a localization bug.

Michael

Message 22 of 63
matt.smith
in reply to: michael_marx

I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

- Matt

Message 23 of 63
matt.smith

Okay, first:  I was able to reproduce the issue you see where the DefaultPersistDimensionOn is not being properly applied.  The reason I didn't see this the first time around is because I was using an in-development internal build and the issue is already fixed (internally), so the fix will be available in a future version (could be a service pack or a release, I'm not at liberty to comment nor do I really know).

The issue ID internally is 1324866.

That said, you can work around it if you'd like to:

Hand edit the XML file (after exporting) and change the text DefaultPersistDimensionOn to DefaultPersistDimension and now it should work.

The catch is that once you get a version of the software where this is fixed, the hand edited version will no longer work.  If you'd like to avoid that, I think (but haven't tried), you can have both elements:

DefaultPersistDimensionOn="1" DefaultPersistDimension="1"

I believe that with this edit, the current version will look at the DefaultPersistDimension and ignore the other, and when you get the version of the software containing the fix that it will look at the DefaultPersistDimensionOn and ignore the other.

Hope that helps.  Thanks,

- Matt

Message 24 of 63
CadUser46
in reply to: mbodnar

@mbodnar wrote:
Spoiler

Hi

I havent found any way so far of importing the ribbon user commands

Max B

Has anyone found a way to do this or is it a definite NO.  I would love this so i didnt have to get users to re-import when new macros are added.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 25 of 63
michael_marx

Hi Matt

i ´ve got another problem now with my german Version. If i use the importoptions variable i get a some new templates in the template folder?!?!?

regards Michael

Message 26 of 63
JJ_aabo

I cannot get the  /IMPORTCUSTOMIZATIONS feature to work in Inventor 2015 (Factory design suite).

The /IMPORTOPTIONS does work, but since Factory loses half its shortcut everytime it craches, it is really the other feature that could be usefull.

Any suggestions or work arrounds?

Message 27 of 63
Milan_Nosil

Hello, 

Do you know how to run "/ importcustomizations" for version 2018 please?

I do not know if it's important that I have a Czech localization...

I've tried everything, it still does not work.

Inventor Prof 2018.1.1

Windows 10 Pro

Thank you for your advice.

Message 28 of 63
Scott.Hawkins
in reply to: Milan_Nosil

Hi Milan,

I am not aware of there being any problem with this feature, but from your post I notice that there is a space between the forward slash and the keyword importcustomizations.  If that is actually what you are using on the command line, then it will not work.  

If that is not the problem, then perhaps you can provide a little more information about exactly what the command line looks like.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Hawkins

Inventor Software Developer
Message 29 of 63
Milan_Nosil
in reply to: Scott.Hawkins

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your post. I wrote it only in a post, but the whole text is:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Bin\Inventor.exe" /importcustomizations="C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Preferences\test.xml"

Thank you.

Milan

Message 30 of 63
ACEDeSmedt

Milan,

Did you read the whole thread and the problems with the German Localization? I think you'll need to use the translation of importcustomizations in Czech

Maybe ping/mail Matt Smith with this question (matt.smith@autodesk.com)

Klaas

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 31 of 63
Scott.Hawkins

Milan,

Sorry for the delay.  To be honest I did not have any other insights before on this issue, but a couple of things did strike me as I look back on the thread now.

First of all I notice that you are trying to use test.xml, and I noticed that Matt Smith attached a file named test.xml

I hope you are not trying to use that with /importcustomizations because it is an Application Options file that would not work (it should work with /importoptions).

I don't think that is what you are trying to do, but I just wanted to make sure after I noticed the file name.

My next thought is that there might be some structural issues in 2015 for importing customizations from the command line.

It should generally work, but we have fixed a number of issues in the 3 releases since 2015 and it would be good to verify if there was anything fixed in what you are trying.

Please send me your file and I will verify how it behaves. If you don't want to share it publicly, then please send it directly by private message.

I will check it against 2015, and then if there are problems I will check it against later versions and come up with a root cause and a work around if possible.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Hawkins

Message 32 of 63
Milan_Nosil

Hello Scott

thank you for answer. 

I using my own "test.xml" fot the Inventor customizations .xml, no Inventor options .xml. (In the annex I send you test2017.xml for a customizations)

I do not know where I'm making a mistake. Everything seems to be fine, but it does not work. Autodesk has written to me that it can not be used for the 2018 version yet.

Thank you.

Milan Nosil

Message 33 of 63
Scott.Hawkins

Hi Milan,

Sorry for confusing the issue by talking about 2015.  I mistakenly picked that part out of the thread for a different user.

Now I am looking at things and it would help me to know some of the examples of customization that you are looking for and not seeing after you do the /importcustomization.

Unfortunately there is a lot of customization to analyze and I could get to the heart of your issue faster if I know what you are checking.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Hawkins

Message 34 of 63
Milan_Nosil

Hi Scott,

I only need to import the customizations when I start the application. Do you have any specific questions?

Thank you,

Milan Nosil

Message 35 of 63
Scott.Hawkins

Hi Milan,

Sorry not to be clear, but after you import customizations using the command line option how do you know that it did not work?

I assume, for example, that you have a specific keystroke shortcut registered in Inventor that you exported and now you open up the new version after the import and expect to see that keystroke, but you do not.

If you could give me at least one thing you are looking for (more is better), then it would really help my investigation.

Otherwise I need to search and compare through the exported data using brute force and guessing and try to identify what you intended to customize.

It is a little challenging since there is a lot of data, and there is no predictable order to the data, and there can be some variations in the data that result in the same good state after it is imported.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Hawkins

Message 36 of 63
Milan_Nosil

I need to try it for example in the User Commands.

For example:

If I have 2 files customizations - test.xml (with s User commands in ribbon) and test2.xml (without User commands).

1. I will import test2.xml in Inventor and close him.

2. Now a set import the test.xml customizations using the command line option.

THAT'S A PROBLEM - I cannot see any user commands anywhere.

I hope it's understandable Smiley Happy

Thank you

Milan Nosil

Message 37 of 63
Scott.Hawkins

Hi Milan,

I figured out the problem.

This command line interface is designed to be used with deployments and has no effect if you use it interactively.

You can get it to work if you add the /register option to the command line like the following:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Bin\Inventor.exe" /importcustomizations="C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Preferences\test.xml" /register

Please note that the Inventor application will not be displayed when you run it this way.

It will also have a side-effect of registering Inventor 2018 to be the currently registered version.

Also be aware that even though it seems to complete immediately, it may actually run in the background for 5-10 seconds while it registers Inventor 2018 as the current version.

Of course another way that you could do it would be to add it to a deployment which could then be posted in a common directory for many users to benefit from.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Scott Hawkins

Message 38 of 63
ACEDeSmedt

This is potentially wonderful!!

I've been looking for way's to alter the custom user commands through VBA.

Mostly for adding some useful macro buttons or remove deprecated macro's.

If I remember correctly, I gave up because I didn't find a way to make them stick (they are gone if you close Inventor)

This could potentially be a very clean way to set them and make them stick!

Message 39 of 63
Milan_Nosil

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your answer.

It works but unfortunately does not run Inventor (I know - you said it). I understand that - if I add the /register option to the command line, the customization will import to Inventor, but Inventor does not start. Then I need to delete "/ register" and Inventor will start with the correct settings.

You wrote something about another way that could work - I'm sorry I don't get it Smiley Happy

Once again thank you, we are on the right way to solve it.

Message 40 of 63
ACEDeSmedt

@Milan_Nosil ; maybe you could write some bat file that does both: Registering the settings in Inventor and in a next step launching Inventor?

I suspect, If this could be written in one line command, you can use that line in the shortcut target field but my bat knowledge is not that advanced at the moment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report