Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Inventor with fix application options

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
michael_marx
5890 Views, 62 Replies

Start Inventor with fix application options

Is there a way to import application option xml file everytime in Inventor during startup? Like autocad with their profile option /p 

mima

62 REPLIES 62
Message 2 of 63
johnsonshiue
in reply to: michael_marx

Yes, this should be available on R2010 and later. I have tried it on R2011 and it works. Basically, there are two switches allowing you to import options saved in XML files.

/IMPORTOPTIONS="path where the Application Options XML file is stored"

/IMPORTCUSTOMIZATIONS="path where the UI Customization XML file is stored"

Simply append the switches next to Inventor.exe in a commandline prompt or in the icon shortcut.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 63
michael_marx

In my case this won´t work. Inventor always starts with the same application options.

I tried both ways. i´m local admin but the startoption won´t work.

Could it be that this won´t work with SP1 anymore?

Regards Michael

Message 4 of 63
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am on R2011SP1 also. I just tried it 5 minutes ago and it works for me. You need to follow the format exactly. Here is the target path I have in the R2011 shortcut.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\Inventor.exe" /IMPORTOPTIONS="C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Preferences\MyApplicationOptions.xml"

Please note that my OS is XP and the Inventor 2011 path could be different if you are not on XP. Plus the options xml file path and file name will be adjusted according to your system.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 63
michael_marx

Hi i found the problem look at the link beinginventive

My OS is WIN 7 64bitSmiley Sad this option only work for 32bit OS

Michael

Message 6 of 63
matt.smith

Micahel,

It works fine for me on Inventor 2011 with Win7 + 64-bit OS.  See:

http://www.screencast.com/t/YTg0ZjQw

Perhaps on Win7 it matters where the file is located that it is trying to import (just a guess).  Try a different location (like c:\temp) and see if it works. 

Good luck,

- Matt

@michael_marx wrote:

Hi i found the problem look at the link beinginventive

My OS is WIN 7 64bitSmiley Sad this option only work for 32bit OS

Michael

Message 7 of 63
RobJV
in reply to: matt.smith

Was only skimming this thread and was not even following the text but must say I am very impressed with the time and effort that went into the video that Matt posted to help with the op's question.  Good work. 

Message 8 of 63
michael_marx

Hi Matt,

it won´t work. The only things which were different is that my OS is localized and only win7 64 professional, and my Inventor is with a language pack german.

mima

Message 9 of 63
matt.smith

Michael,

Would you share with me the following information:

1. What specific application options are you changing that don't get imported properly on start-up? (e.g. General->Start-up action)

2. What is the location of the file you are trying to import?  Better yet, just give me the exact copy/paste of your shortcut (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\Inventor.exe" /importoptions="C:\temp\ApplicationOptions.xml")

3. Do you have UAC turned off?  (Control Panel->System and Security->Action Center->Change User Account Control settings)

Given this information, I could try the same settings on my machine.  Thanks,

- Matt

@michael_marx wrote:

Hi Matt,

it won´t work. The only things which were different is that my OS is localized and only win7 64 professional, and my Inventor is with a language pack german.

mima

Message 10 of 63
michael_marx

Hi Matt,

i tried to change the username from mima to test i attached my xml file

the location of the file is C:\TEMP\mima.xml

the shortcut target is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\Inventor.exe" /importoptions="c:\temp\mima.xml"

the UAC is always off, local admin right´s

could it be the virus scanner? We use Trend Micro office scan r10 Sp1

mima

Message 11 of 63
matt.smith

Michael,

I tried your mima.xml and it worked fine on my Win7/64-bit.  As to what the issue is, I think you hit it right on with your previous email--you have a localized (german) Inventor.  I looked at the code for importoptions, and the command line is actually expecting a *localized* version of the command line string (I'm guessing this is a defect).  Try the following:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\Inventor.exe" /"Optionen importieren"="c:\temp\mima.xml"

(you need the quotes around "Optionen importieren" because of the space).

If this doesn't work, I need you to send fwuires.dll (send me a personal message to matt.smith@autodesk.com) from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks,

- Matt

@michael_marx wrote:

Hi Matt,

i tried to change the username from mima to test i attached my xml file

the location of the file is C:\TEMP\mima.xml

the shortcut target is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Bin\Inventor.exe" /importoptions="c:\temp\mima.xml"

the UAC is always off, local admin right´s

could it be the virus scanner? We use Trend Micro office scan r10 Sp1

mima

Message 12 of 63
michael_marx

Hi Matt

great work now it works with "Optionen importieren" Smiley Very Happy 

Are there any other tricks which were good to know?!

How long is it ago that the switch was built in? 

mima

Message 13 of 63
matt.smith

mima,

Great! Thanks for reporting back. 

1. AFAIK, the switch was first available in Inv 2010 RTM.

2. Other tricks:  I wouldn't call these "tricks", but things to watch out for:

a. If you import a change to the Hardware->Graphic Setting, it will not take effect.  This setting cannot be imported (jus like through the UI). 

b.  If you import a change to Colors->Interface Style, it will not take effect until you restart Inventor (same as importing through the UI, but it seems strange since you are changing the setting on start-up).

Overall, the command line is supposed to function identical to the "Import..." button through the UI.

- Matt

@michael_marx wrote:

Hi Matt

great work now it works with "Optionen importieren" Smiley Very Happy 

Are there any other tricks which were good to know?!

How long is it ago that the switch was built in? 

mima

Message 14 of 63
ACEDeSmedt

Matt,

Matt,

I was wondering if you can import the application settings trough the API or VBA?

And the User Interface and Ribbon Customizations?

Matt,

I was wondering if you can import the application settings trough the API or VBA?

Regards;

Klaas De Smedt

Matt,

Regards;

Klaas De Smedt

PS: FireFox 4 is not that great with the discussion bord of Autodesk

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 15 of 63
matt.smith
in reply to: ACEDeSmedt

Klass,

I don't know the answer.  You could try posting to the Autodesk Inventor Customization forum: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/bd-p/120

Thanks,

- Matt

@ACEDeSmedt wrote:

Matt,

Regards;

Klaas De Smedt

Matt,

PS: FireFox 4 is not that great with the discussion bord of Autodesk

Message 16 of 63
mbodnar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson

I have managed to start Inventor using the /IMPORTOPTIONS switch OK but having trouble with the /IMPORTCUSTOMIZATION switch, Inventor comes up with "The XML file is not a valid Inventor customization file"

I have exported the xml from Inventor, customize menu and can import manually but cannot configure Inventor to start up with custom xml file

Any suggestions?

Max B

Message 17 of 63

Hi,

There are 2 Interface xml files.

1 for toolbars and 1 for custom user commands in the ribbon.

That's why you get an error.

The first is already handled here, but i can't seem to find anything, also the subscription guy sended me back to this thread.

I need to import the Custom user commands in the ribbon each time inventor starts up.

This thread is very helpful but i can't find anything to import the ribbon user commands

Is there a way to do this?

Regards,

Fréderic

If you think this answer fullfilled your needs, improved your knowledge or leads to a solution,
please feel free to "kudos"
Message 18 of 63
mbodnar

Spoiler

Hi

I havent found any way so far of importing the ribbon user commands

Max B

Message 19 of 63
michael_marx

Hi Matt,

i played around with this option to import application settings on startup in R2012. There are happening strange things.

For example the path for Templates is not read from the xml. And the setting for PersistDimensionOn in HUD Settings is ignored and always turned off. Still the German Version of Inventor but now the IMPORTOPTIONS is working.

Michael

Message 20 of 63
matt.smith

Michael,

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you are seeing--both those options get imported successfully for me.  Would you send me your xml file to see if I can spot anything that stands out?

- Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report