Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SS Sheet Metal Textures

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
robmatthews
2350 Views, 6 Replies

SS Sheet Metal Textures

Is anyone else using #4 finish SS sheel or tube? If so, what appearance do you assign to represent it? (Or is it just me fussy about this sort of stuff?)

I like the directional texture of Inventor Material Library's "Polished Brushed", but unless I set the Metal Finish to "Brushed", the reflectivity is too high, so .. I'm looking for an alternative.

Anyone got anything that renders well?

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
robmatthews
in reply to: robmatthews

Bump.

Does anyone create renders for customers/sales of #4 Stainless Steel, and do you use an "out of the box" appearance? If so, which one, from which library?

If you have an apearance of your own, would you be willing to share?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
CAG_DRAFT

I just use the semi-polished appearance these days... all of our customers are given samples and/or told to look up what a #4 finish is. The colours on the drawings I produce are not a part of our contracts...

Having said that I may have a go at creating my own appearance, last time I tired modifying a stock appearance to suit I got too frustrated and left it alone.

(stainless & glass balustrade work)

Message 4 of 7
robmatthews
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Thanks for that reply. I guess I'll keep playing around with it.

Message 5 of 7
CAG_DRAFT

I've since spent a little time tweaking the appearance you mention to suit my needs... (the slight texture suits the material)

I haven't checked it out in a studio render yet but with Realistic & Ray tracing On it looks quite dark, maybe too dark & my 'brush' texture is borderline too faint but that's ok for now.

(I've set it to brushed & stainless, reduced the relief back to ~.15 and reduced the base image size by a factor of 4, and I did all that in a new copy of the Polished Brushed appearance.)

anyway my question to you is... In the Edit Appearance Box where you can change the finish to brushed have you also changed the material to Stainless ? (You didn't mention it so I have to ask)

Next time I'm bored I'll have to try replacing the relief image with a photo of our own work...

Message 6 of 7
robmatthews
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Thanks for your reply.

I did not have it set to Stainless Steel; it was still aluminium.  That being said, the relectivity was too low. I have spent a lot of time trying various settings and style based on different types of material (metal, metallic paint, etc), and today, per your suggestion, I went back to "Polished Brushed" appearance, and set the Type to "Stainless Steel", Finish to Polished, Relief pattern image unchanged, Amount to 0.15, and scale to 3cm.

Now in the modelling environment that looks great, very close to reality. Nice and shiny, with a realistic grain to it.

But in a Studio render, it comes up very dark, almost black.  See attached for comparison, render on the left and modelling env on the right. What the?

Is this a quirk of studio, or do I not have the lighting set up correctly? Little help please?

I'm trying to set up a render of our 5m long fryer in a food preparation plant, with the "OldWarehouse" background (which incidentally, I can't get to come through into a render as well...)

FYI, you're looking at the hood on a machine similar to that in this pic:

http://www.heatandcontrol.com/EQviewer2.asp?id=3&iint=0 

That is the finish I want to simulate.

Render vs Modelling.jpg

Message 7 of 7
CAG_DRAFT

I dont know enough about studio to really help you out anymore, sorry...

my only suggestion is to find a way to copy the 'Metal' type appearance to a generic one, allowing you to further customise it's appearance. (As it seems that the base colour and reflectivity options are all preset in our/your current approach)

I'll have a play with it in the next week or so but the above tip is going to be my next plan of attack.

...at a glance I'd probably say the finish on that machine in the photo you have linked is a #2B, not #4.

either way they are similar and getting one to look right should help a lot with the other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report