Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square feet as Unit of Measure in BOM. PLEASE HELP!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
astarnes
2127 Views, 9 Replies

Square feet as Unit of Measure in BOM. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have an assembly containing iParts that are wood of varying sizes of width and height (all under the same part number).  When creating a parts list in a drawing of this assembly I would like to be able to have square feet be the unit of measure for each of those parts, and furthermore merge the part numbers to show a total square footage for all the varying sizes of wood.  I only care about the square feet (width x height), not total area of all faces.

Is there an easy way to do this without using iLogic code in Inventor 2014?  I'm staying away from iLogic because this part is used/edited by people other than myself that have absolutely zero experience in coding at all.  So, I just want the simplest solution without it, but am not opposed to it as long as my rules and parts lists will update dynamically.  I have scoured the internet for a solution and all I get is outdated solution using macros and external rules

This seems like a simple enough request from Inventor, yet when I specify the User Parameter (SQFT) with units in "ft^2" and have it populated by the equation "=Width * Height" I cannot select this when I go to Tools > Document Settings > Bill of Materials > Base Quantity (drop menu).  Attached is a picture of my parameter list.  The only work around I have found is exporting the parameter (SQFT) creating a Custom iProperty.  I then go to my parts list in the drawing and add a column populated with the iProperty (SQFT) for the parts that have that property.  I can then edit the format of that column and go to the Substitution tab and set the value to "Sum of Values" when a property "SQFT" is foundin each part.  The problem is that the the "Sum of Values" trick only works with values that match for some strange reason.  So im back to excluding this specific part number from being merged and manually adding the SQFT together to give to my purchasing department.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
yosso22
in reply to: astarnes

Here's a possible work-around.

Set the base units the user parameter which you are using to obtain the area.  The units for the calculated area will need a unit of length, so you divide the product by 1 inch.

The short and long pieces both have the same part number, while the front piece has a different part number.

user-parameter.PNG

parts-list-screenshot.PNG

Give Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
astarnes
in reply to: yosso22

yosso22 - How are you getting the parameter to the parts lists? Are you exporting it as a custom property and adding that column to the parts list, or selecting that parameter u_area as the base unit of measure from the Document Settings menu?

Message 4 of 10
astarnes

yosso22 - Nevermind, I looked over the part where you said "Set the base unit"

Message 5 of 10
astarnes

I gave it a shot. I can set the unit of measure to my SQFT parameter when I divide it by 1ft and change it's unit from ft^2 to ft.  This kinda helpsas a work around, but i'd rather see the units in ft^2 or in a different column named "SQFT" and able to tally up mulitple different numbers like the QTY column works in the BOM.  Only because, I have many other parts that are measured in inches, feet, each, etc. and I dont want to confuse the purchasing department when I hand this BOM off.

Anybody know if it's possible to create a duplicate QTY column in the Parts List?  I could then rename the column to SQFT and hide the units of "ft" on my linear foot parameter dividing the SQFT parameter by 1ft.

Message 6 of 10
yosso22

Place the item quantity into the Parts List?

item_qty.PNG

Give Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10

astarnes - I am going through the same thing... I know I can divide my Equation by 1 ft, set the Unit/Type to ft instead of ft^2, and export that parameter into the drop down in BOM settings, and it will technically work, however, this is kind of an odd workaround and doesn't seem proper.

Then, I believe there's another separate issue of items not adding properly when you have length quantified AND area-quantified lines in the same parts list - you have to divide one of the parameters by 12 to get proper results.

I wish there was a way to set the Unit/Type to ft^2 and send that over to the "Base Quantity" drop down in Bill of Materials settings and everything would be all good.

Anyway, it's been a while... did you happened to find a solution / alternative workaround?

Message 8 of 10
blandb

If you follow along and create what is shown, then you should be able to add the same parameter to your assembly parts list and it appear. Please see attached. 

blandb_0-1698953678260.png

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 9 of 10
Nicholas.Olejarnik
in reply to: blandb

Thanks so much. I thought I tried everything... so the order matters. If you set the parameter as ft^2 first it doesn't show up at all in the Base Quantity drop down.

Its working for me now.
Message 10 of 10
blandb
in reply to: Nicholas.Olejarnik

Correct, I don't know why.

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report