Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sqrt expression!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jyothissurendran
1298 Views, 5 Replies

Sqrt expression!!

I am trying to give an Expression like sqrt({Jx}/{Section}) in column properties in family table editor. but its not working. Can anyone advice  anuy other options are available for this ?

Please find the attached image .....

Jyothis Surendran
Autodesk Autocad 2014 & Inventor Professional Suite 2010
Windows 10
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Is that possible? Don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Normally I would give this expression as a parameter in the part and then use the parameter in the family table.

If you don't get the expression to work in as a normal parameter the problem is often (when using sqrt and cos, sin, tan) not correct units inside the expression. So try to write the units yourself when using "ul" numbers mixed with "mm" for example.

Good luck! 

Message 3 of 6

I am not sure whether its possible or not ?

Can please explain this step in detail -

Normally I would give this expession as a parameter in the part and then use the parameter in the family table.

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 4 of 6

Can u please advise  from where i can find out the part file...

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 5 of 6

I'm not really sure I understand you correct.

Maybe you can write it as you did, but I find the expression column a little "bug:sy" in Inventor 2010 at some occations.

The part file that you want to add to your content center (probably iPart right?) concists of the parameter "Jx" and "Section", before upload to content center. (you always want to save all your content center original parts someware in the valut or on your computer)

In the Part/iPart parameter table you can add another parameter called "Calculation" or something. Do the calculation before you upload the part to content center.

Remember to use the correct units in your expression.

Message 6 of 6

Hi the procedure i wroked out is ,

1. I copied the "ISO 4200 tube" default content center i tems to my personel library

2. Then i am trying to edit the deafult pipe sizes because the the diameter and thinkness of pipes are different with default library  items

3.So i am using family table editor to  change the values.

4.All other physical properties like "sectional area,Moment of inertia,etc are changed by giving expression on the column properties in family table editor.

5.But for Radius of gyration the equation consist or SQRT value. That one is not working in expressions.

" I can make it  by using the option "edit via Spread sheet" avialble on family table editor ". But in future may be i will have to upload more pipe sizes. So in that case each time i have to  work through spreadsheet.Thats why i am planning to make it through expressions in colum propertis. If  it become a sucses next time i only have to enter the diameter and wall thickens.

I tried  the option as u told to enter a new parameter in part file. But my dought is that the library will create individual part files according to the  values given on family table editor or its working through a program.

If its creating individual part files where it will be located ?

Hopes now u got understand fully.

Thanks for your kind support and time...

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report