Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting a Generated Frame

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
937 Views, 2 Replies

Splitting a Generated Frame

I've been working on a trailer frame which I've created using the frame generator.  As the design has devleoped, it has become apparent that the best way to manufacture it is in two parts and then to bolt them together later.  Is there a (simple) way to be able to split the frame into two sub-assemblies?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
brendan.henderson
in reply to: Anonymous

2 methods come too mind. 1) with existing frame members select the members to be grouped into the 1 assy and demote them to a new assy. I see you're on 2014 so being demoted the members retain their link to the original frame sketch/assy and be edit from there. 2) Use the same frame sketch inserted into 2 different assy files and apply the members to be grouped into the 2 assy's. Personally I would do option 2 but this would require you to create 2 new assy files so your existing work would be useless.
Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 3

Hi spackle42,

In addtion to the previous suggestions, I think you could save a copy of your existing frame assembly and then place the original and the copy into a new top level assembly file. Then edit one of them and delete half of the frame members, then edit the other one and delete the other half of the frame members.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report