Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split tool

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
215 Views, 4 Replies

Split tool

What do you use the split tool for if you keep both halves? I typically use to remove one side of something. I understand if to split a bi-colored face. But from a modeling perspective just curious. Also why delete faces if heal is turned off? If I delete a face and don't heal, isn't the solid a non-manifold solid? Kevin V.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

By allowing you to split a face you can delete or even thicken that newly created face. When you delete a face and don't heal you have created a surface. When you delete the face notice that the icon at the top of the browser has changed from a box solid to a quilt surface. This allows you to add addtional surfaces, stitch them in, and then thinken to create a new solid. "Kevin Vallelunga" wrote in message news:4071871a$1_1@newsprd01... > What do you use the split tool for if you keep both halves? I typically use > to remove one side of something. I understand if to split a bi-colored face. > But from a modeling perspective just curious. > > Also why delete faces if heal is turned off? If I delete a face and don't > heal, isn't the solid a non-manifold solid? > > Kevin V. > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Study these files.
JD_1 Split faces allow different colors on faces.
JD_2 Split face and delete create new faces and stitch back to solid.
JD_3 Split face to apply different draft angles to faces.
To name just a few uses.

Also the split tool is the only way to trim a surface when combined with the delete face tool (sure hope they put that on one tool in the next release).

J.D.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Oops, wrong file 3. See attached.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks JD. That will definitely add to my arsenal. "JDMATHER" wrote in message news:8966612.1081192267909.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > Oops, wrong file 3. See attached.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report