Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spline Design Generator - External Involute Spline Error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sgwilliams
4520 Views, 5 Replies

Spline Design Generator - External Involute Spline Error

I'm trying to create an external involute spline (ANSI B92.2M) Fillet Root Side Fit 26.9mm x 1 mm x 26 teeth x 38 mm long using the spline generator with Inventor 2012. I created a test shaft"M-182-AMA.ipt" that is Ø26.9 mm x 38 mm long with 1 mm radius on each end of shaft.

I use the following steps:

1. After creating component "M-182-AMA.ipt" I select Design tab>>Power Transmission>>Involute Spline.

2. A window appears that has the caption "Involute Splines Connection Generator".In the Dimensions section I choose "Splines Type: ANSI B92.2M - 37.5 deg, Fillet Root, Side Fit, 26 x 1.00 x 38 x 5H/5h" and change the Length to 38 mm.

3. In the Shaft Groove section I use Create new, and I push the Reference 1 button that turns blue, I then select the od feature from the model and I get an error(see attached pic "error1.jpg).

Did I miss a step? I changed the 26.9mm od to be 27mm and it still gave me the error. Did I do something wrong? Or is this a glitch in the software?

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Could you please post the component where you try to create the spline?

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the help Daniela..... here it is..... thanks.Smiley Happy

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
Message 4 of 6

I did a test, in my case it works. I tested with your part and also created a new part from scratch, the involute spline could be created. I have attached my example.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 6
sgwilliams
in reply to: sgwilliams

Thank you very much for all your help. After inspecting your file to my file I noticed that the document settings on mine are defaulted to inches, as we make 99% of our product to that specification. I changed my document setting units to millimeters and then the generator worked just fine. FYI make sure that that your document settings has the same units selected as the spline that your trying to create.

I'm not sure why this matters other than maybe a decimal place issue when the equation is being calculated, that maybe the translation has more decimal places going from millimeters to inches(1 mm = 0.039370078740157 inch) than when going from inches to millimeters (1 inch = 25.4 mm).

I finally created the part I was trying to create when this road block fell in my way. Now I'm back on track and all works fine. Maybe a wish for the next version of inventor would be to fix this so it doesn't matter what your document settings units is set to.

Thanks again Daniela.

Message 6 of 6
Brad_Tejas
in reply to: sgwilliams

I too am having issues with the involute spline.  I need to have a W45x1.5x28 7g DIN 5480 on the end of a shaft and am getting the same error. I can make the shaft end larger to and cut it down after the splines are created...however, nothing i try is working...the spline needs to be on the end with a through hole to the relief and i just can't make it work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report