Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spline a surface from points imported from excel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1951 Views, 4 Replies

Spline a surface from points imported from excel

I am trying to create a 3d surface by importing points from an excel file. I have been using "import points" in the 3d sketch mode, and checked off the box that says "create 3d spline." But this just causes Inventor to freeze and crash. My excel file had about 2000 points, all of which lie on the surface I want to create in Inventor.

Should this method work in theory, and do I just have too many points? Or am I approaching this totally wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MingweiGao
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you have a try with small points in the excel, such as less than 100 points. If you can share your data, we may have a try and find the problem.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 5
pcrawley
in reply to: MingweiGao

How are you planning to get the points to become a surface?

I've had some good results importing Excel as 2d sketches (with spline creation) - and then lofting between the resulting sections to create the surface.  But taking a bunch of points in 3d space and creating a surface?  Not sure how that would work using the available surfacing tools in Inventor.  If you find a way, let me know?!

Peter
Message 4 of 5
brian.crow
in reply to: pcrawley

Revolve a spline.

Message 5 of 5
pcrawley
in reply to: brian.crow

I'm impressed - a reply to a post from 9 years, 9 months, and 8 days ago.

You could have waited until tomorrow just to keep the duration tidy 😉

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report