Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tfissel
942 Views, 6 Replies

Spiral

I'm new to autodesk and just wanted to make a simple race track with a loop in it. This is the first time I'm attempting anything with a curve/spiral in it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I should do this or if anyone knows of a tutorial video that explains it I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: tfissel

If I understand correctly, you're wanting to make a track with a helical section in it?  Like my old Hot Wheels track?  If so, creating a 3D sketch and placing a helix in it would be a good start.  Then add lines and arcs to the ends for a complete sweep path.

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Something like this?

Loop d Loop.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
cean_au

cool. is it a movement simulation?

Message 5 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: cean_au

@cean_au wrote:

cool. is it a movement simulation?

Done entirely in Inventor using Dynamic Simulation environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 7
tfissel
in reply to: JDMather

Nearly exactly like this. The difference being that I'm actually using 90 degree angle steel and will have a steel ball rolling along the track. It's actually for a proof of conservation of energy for a physics class. I don't need a CAD drawing but I thought it would be fun to try to make one.

Here is what I want to copy: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lectu...

The track can be seen around 30 minutes. I use angle steel so that the ball only contacts 2 points so has the least amount of friction possible. I want to get as close as possible to the 5/2 r height for the experiment. I actually tried a hot wheels track but the friction was so high I  had to double the height of the car from what I preidicted.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Attach your ipt file here.
Some people use the 3D sketch Helix tool to create their sweep path - but I don't do it that way since it is harder to edit.
Some people use Coil (solid) feature tool directly - but I don't do that since that doesn't result in the correct geometry cross-section (the profile is not aligned to the path).

I create a Coil surface feature (coil a single line).

Then create a workplane normal to the edge of the helical surface.
Create my profile on that plane to sweep.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report