Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spherical Joints

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Fefas
488 Views, 1 Reply

Spherical Joints

Hi Guys,

I have a simple project that I am having problems with.

I got a shaft and a base, and they will be connected using a spherical joint.

up to this point it is ok. I have used mate constrain to align the points on the spheres and everything is alined.

But when I make it simulate on dynamic simulation the shaft goes through the base, as it has never existed there, but it keeps the points alined. It should have a limit of around 6 degrees on x and y and rotate freely on the z axis, as a regular ball joint.

I have tried 3d Contact joint, It kind of work, not 100% perfectly, because it goes a little bit inside the base geometry and it comes back. But as I have a lot of joint to put on this project I am afraid that a lot of 3d contact joints will make the simulation slow. (it already happened)

I am attaching the assemby and parts here.

can anyone help me with this?

thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
henderh
in reply to: Fefas

Hi Fefas,

You can set up limits for two of the rotational degrees of in the spherical joint properties.

Alternately, you can add the 3D contact joint and change the default stiffness in the joint properties from 1000 to 10000 N/mm.  This way there is hardly any observable penetration.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

[Edit: added joint properties]

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report