Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speeding up constrain execution

43 REPLIES 43
Message 1 of 44
eleblanc
1226 Views, 43 Replies

speeding up constrain execution

SO what is everyone say, trick about speeding up constrain execution. I have started working on this new project with 2013. And i'm finding myself losing alot of time. Basicly what i do is insert part from our database or content center and assemble them. So 80% of my activities on inventor are constraints. Right now i have this assemblies 175 / 156(small to me). And executing a constraint is minimum 4 seconds each time. If you consider that about 3 contraint is needed for each piece and final total part will probably be around 1000. i'm losing alot of time here

Yeah, i am not using preview. Why is inventor recalculating that much each time? Is it doing a rebuilt after each constraint?

What have you done that really increase the excution time of constraints?

Workstaion is

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Extreme i7cpu  I975 @ 3,33

12bg ram

4 ssd in Raid stripping.Nvidia FX3800

Inventor 2013 SP1

43 REPLIES 43
Message 41 of 44
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mrattray

OK so we seem to have narrowed it down to the part adaptively recomputing itself.  Thanks for sticking with us.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 42 of 44
stevec781
in reply to: SteveMDennis

I think the point I have been trying to make has been missed.  It's not so much that adaptivity can slow a model down, we all know that, it's that adding a mate or dragging a component triggers a partial rebuild.  If it didn't trigger the rebuild, adpative wouldn't parts wouldn't matter.  The OP shouldnt have to disable the intelligence in his model in order to quickly place a new part. 

I'm no programmer (I wish I was) but I would think say for a face/face mate that once the faces have been selected the logic would be move part A to part B, update the graphics, stop thinking.  The selection process checks that the faces are valid so I cant see why there is any rebuilding of parts, adaptive or not, 50 or 50,000.  Just place the part and stop, especially when the model is already up to date.

There are things I like about Inventor, if I didn't I wouldn't be spending my time testing its suitability for my business expansion.  In some areas it's far superior to its competitors, but in some it's not.

Steve I didnt mean to criticise your expertise, in fact the opposite.  Based on your position I assumed that you know your stuff so when you said 200 seemed a lot from your point of view I took that as informed advice about Inventors ability from someone that knows what he is talking about.  Sorry if it came across differently. 

Its great that you have found a work around for the OP but I hope you guys review the way Inventor handles mates.

Sorry but my data contains IP that I am not willing to release, and due to the relationships it's not easy to make a simplified model without it.

Message 43 of 44
SteveMDennis
in reply to: stevec781

stevec781 wrote: 

I'm no programmer (I wish I was) but I would think say for a face/face mate that once the faces have been selected the logic would be move part A to part B, update the graphics, stop thinking.  The selection process checks that the faces are valid so I cant see why there is any rebuilding of parts, adaptive or not, 50 or 50,000.  Just place the part and stop, especially when the model is already up to date.

--------------------

Steve,

In the interest of a nice discussion, I wish it was that simple!!! Smiley Happy  my job would be a lot easier.

This goes back to the variational vs. parametric solve I opened the thread with. In a parametric world it is as easy as you say, everything solves in sequence, one by one. You don't go back and resolve anything. lightning fast but then you also might get into mate groups or other issues that non-Inventor users might be famiilar with. You can't always be as flexible with a parametric solve but it IS predictable.

Variational says "something" changed, how can we solve this system. not just the last thing you added!  Our solver was built around variational concepts and adaptivity specifically.  But there is a cost for that flexibility, if you are unable to pay that cost or that flexible part of the design is over and done, turn adaptivity off and only reenable it when you make changes that affect that part(s).

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 44 of 44
stevec781
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Thanks for the explanation, the case for sticking with Inventor just got stronger.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report