Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Question on .stp and .igs files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
guitarsoulja
1499 Views, 4 Replies

Specific Question on .stp and .igs files

A quick search of the forum didn't reveal answers to my elementary question so here it is. I'm working to get some design components manufactured overseas. The manufacturer uses Pro/E but in one of their very cryptic emails they told me to convert all files to .stp and .igs files. What I need to know is which of these file formats applies to assemblies and which applies to part file. In other words, when I open a part file, should I export it as a .stp file, or a .igs file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jletcher
in reply to: guitarsoulja

I send .stp over seas .igs some times has issues..

Message 3 of 5
guitarsoulja
in reply to: jletcher

So you mean it doesn't matter which format I export to? i.e. I can export a part file to either a .stp or .igs file type, and same with an assembly file?

Message 4 of 5
ampster401

stp is the preferred file type for both part and assy files when sharing between solid model apps.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

@guitarsoulja wrote:

..... they told me to convert all files to .stp and .igs files.

When you save the assembly file it will save all parts in the STEP or IGES file.
This could result in a large filesize but does show the parts in assembly position.

Since they ask for both - I would save in both formats.  Set the Options for the IGES to solids.

Be sure to import all IGES or STEP files back into Inventor to check yourself before sending them.

(doing this would have already answered your questions)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report