Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Navigator Keeps Changing button Settings

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Bill.Schmid
3834 Views, 10 Replies

Space Navigator Keeps Changing button Settings

Since I installed the 2014 Inventor, my 3Dconnexion Space Navigator refuses to keep the settings I program for the buttons.  I tried updating to the latest version of the driver, but that didn't help.  I also tried unchecking the autosave function in the driver, but they still get changed anyway and then the driver asks if I want to save the changes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JavaLodge
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

I use the Space Pilot Pro but I was having a similar problem to you.  Are you using the 3dconnexion properties dialog to change the settings?  And how often do the settings reset?  The workaround I use is this:  everytime I make a change to the settings I open up the Inventor Internal Button Mapping Editor and the 3Dconnexion Properties window and make changes that way.  You have to ensure that changes take place in the Inventor window for it to 'stick.'  I hope this helps.

in reply to: JavaLodge

I'm thinking there's going to be a Catch 22 here, but, how do I get to the Inventor Internal Button Mapping Editor?  I'll bet you press one of the buttons (I only have 2) that I've already re-assigned?

Message 4 of 11
JavaLodge

Look in your Add-Ins tab in Inventor and there should be a 'Customize Buttons' option.  Click that and it should get you the button editor.

Aha!  They appear to be set correctly there.  Now I'll see if they stay put or not.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
cwhetten

I don't have a solution for you, but I have had the same problem with my Space Explorer.  Actually, it has always behaved this way for me, even back on Inventor 2012 (when I first got the device).  Driver updates have never solved the problem for me.  I gave up on custom button bindings, but I mostly care about the 3D navigation anyway, so extra buttons are *meh*.

Fortunately, it seems to remember my other settings (axis directions & sensitivities), although on occasion when switching from Inventor to Showcase, then back to Inventor, it completely freaks--but fortunately, that has always been temporary.

Edit:  Oh yeah!  I forgot about the Inventor add-in.  That actually works for me.  I mapped a button to the Orbit command, so I can re-center my orbit pivot point without taking my hand off the Space Explorer.  I totally forgot about it until JavaLodge mentioned it!  Kudos, sir!

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 7 of 11
chad38

Hey guys, I'm gonna ask you all this....I use a Space Pilot and earlier in the week, the LCD display on it just quit lighting up at all. No clue why this is, but I had changed the settings on the display to have the dark and light inverted...don't know if that has anything at all to do with why its display quit out. Any ideas what happened?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 8 of 11
JavaLodge
in reply to: chad38

My guess is as good as yours... is it possible you've set the brightness slider all the way down?  You could try turning the display on and off again, or press the 'Identify' button in the configuration menu.  That's all I got.

I'll have to wait till I get home to check, at work I use a Pilot Pro.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
chad38

I don't think I've found "identify". Where do you find this? I know where I can do that for my monitors, but not for my space pilot. Same goes for turning its display off......where do you find that on yours? Here's a screenshot of the main window I can get to(Capture2.jpg) and this is the button mapping editor that pulls up(Capture3.jpg).

Ever since I installed this to use in inventor my "config" button hasn't done anything, I have to go to the icon in the system tray to bring up the config dialog..Oh and I also haven't been able to find a brightness slider, I can only either check or uncheck the setting that changes it from white on black or black on white.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 11 of 11
JavaLodge
in reply to: chad38

I just realized that we may have different devices.  I have the SpacePilot Pro, and I think you said the SpacePilot.  In any case, mine has a physical button next to the LCD display that looks like a little sun or asterisk.  That button will turn the display on and off.  Mine also has a physical button that takes me to the Logitech LCD Manager.  I was also able to find that by searching in the Start Menu for that.  There's a tab for my device where I can change several display controls, including brightness.  At the bottom of this window is the 'Identify' button.  I really have no idea if these things will be helpful, but it's worth a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report