Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Mouse

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
brent_e_barbour
1801 Views, 10 Replies

Space Mouse

I recently upgraded from…

Inventor 2010 Professional running on Windows XP Professional (32 bit)

…to…

Ultimate Design Suite 2015 running on Windows 7 (64 bit)

I have a very old 3DConnexion Space Mouse Plus XT (serial). That product has been discontinued and no longer supported, but up until my recent upgrade, it’s worked well and is everything I needed. I tried the latest drivers for this Space Mouse which ends at Window XP (32 bit). I tried the latest 3DConnexion common drivers for Window 7 (64 bit). Nothing works. I can’t see justifying the expense of buying a new space mouse after spending so much money already in software and computer upgrades. Has anyone successfully gotten this space mouse to work with Inventor 2015, or AutoCAD 2015, or 3DS Max Design 2015 in Window 7?

Thank you,

Brent

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: brent_e_barbour

Send me an email

jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

one of my students wrote a driver for old models that works in Win7.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

Welcome to life...

One can't possibly expect auxiliary computer hardware to be supported/work forever.. 

Hopefully JD's solution works for you

To me a 3d controller like that is essential for CAD and will easily pay for itself very quickly.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Send me an email

jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

one of my students wrote a driver for old models that works in Win7.

Kids now amaze me.. I was just worried if I'd get an apple in my lunchbox.. Now kids are writing hardware drivers before lunch. 🙂

One of the guys at my work said he was going to have to teach his 10 year old how to use the new ipad he gave him for a present.. I just said.. Drop it in his lap and give him 10 minutes.. after that he will teach YOU how to use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 11
brent_e_barbour

Thank you JDMather!  I sent you an email.  Hopefully it'll work.

Message 6 of 11
brent_e_barbour
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mcgyvr,

Obviously you've never worked for a frugle boss before.  Notice I'm upgrading from 2010 to 2015.  That's because my boss didn't want to keep paying for the subscription.  I also had to fight for the computer upgrades and even then, I got the minimum.  There's no way I could justify another space mouse.  I'd just have to get use to using the "orbit" feature like everyone else in my department.

Message 7 of 11
pball

I don't know about your work place, but if my new job didn't supply a 3D I'd instantly buy one just because of how awesome they are. Though your workplace kinda sounds like my old one, not understanding how some money now can save lots of money later on.
Message 8 of 11
mcgyvr

@brent_e_barbour wrote:

Mcgyvr,

Obviously you've never worked for a frugle boss before.  Notice I'm upgrading from 2010 to 2015.  That's because my boss didn't want to keep paying for the subscription.  I also had to fight for the computer upgrades and even then, I got the minimum.  There's no way I could justify another space mouse.  I'd just have to get use to using the "orbit" feature like everyone else in my department.

Actually I have and still do.. But I know how to make a case when something will help me do my job more efficiently.  You need to sell them on the benefits..

It goes back to my days as a youngster working at the hardware store selling Weber grills.. My manager said the best phrase I've ever heard about sales.. "No one cares about features.. You sell them on the benefits"..

And let me tell you I sold more Weber grills than anyone in the company combined after that.. It was like taking candy from a baby at that point.. You can see the lightbulb turn on in peoples minds when they realize they could really use that grill because of the benefits it will provide them.

I'd laugh watching other guys say.. "This has porcelain flavor bars"(feature).. and the customer just start to walk away..

Then I'd step over and say.. "Those porcelain flavor bars are great.. They instantly vaporize the greases and give your meat that excellent smoky flavor. Not to mention it really helps keep down the flareups that can quickly burn/ruin your prized steak"... (benefit)

And the sale was mine 🙂

Message 9 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

And let me tell you I sold more Weber grills than anyone....

...."Those porcelain flavor bars are great.. They instantly vaporize the greases and give your meat that excellent smoky flavor. Not to mention it really helps keep down the flareups that can quickly burn/ruin your prized steak"...  

Mmmm, got to get me one of those.  Smiley Indifferent

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 11
SBix26

Here's a link to the legacy driver that still works for my old serial Spaceball.  If the link doesn't work for some reason, search in 3dconnexion's legacy driver archive for CadMan & XP 64-bit.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 11 of 11
brent_e_barbour
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

I downloaded the file and it seems to be working.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report