Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolidWorks To Inventor

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
HiltonBurrows
2312 Views, 11 Replies

SolidWorks To Inventor

Hi There

I have been using SolidWorks for 25 years and now have to move over to Inventor 😞  Just when I thought I had the basics problem 1 arises. Could anyone please tell me when using multiple sketches for a loft feature is it possible to constrain sketch items of the active sketch to one of the closed sketches? For example make a line colinear and equal to a closed sketch line. And if so what is the procedure.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rdyson
in reply to: HiltonBurrows

Project (alt+p) the entity you want to constrain to. IV sketches are relatively ignorant of other entities unless you tell it.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 12
tsreagan

Welcome to the Inventor user family.

That frown should turn upside down after a few months in Inventor.

T.S.

Message 4 of 12
HiltonBurrows
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for the quick response. Things are just a little frustrating at the moment 🙂
Message 5 of 12
mrattray

I understand how you feel, changing CAD software can be very painful. Thankfully, you've found yourself a wonderful resource here.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 12
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

I feel your pain!!!  Smiley Wink  Having used SW myself for 12 years I do know where you are coming from.

What I can suggest is look into the tutorials not only in Inventor but do searches in Youtube as well.

These resources make it much easier to tranisition.  Plus we are always here for you on this forum.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@HiltonBurrows wrote:

I have been using SolidWorks for 25 years ....

Wasn't the first release of SolidWorks 1997 (about 16 years ago)?

For best responses - post actual files.  In a couple of months it will be like driving a Ford or Chevy.  The controls might look a little different, but for the most part they are located in pretty much the same location and work the same way.

(Been using/teaching SWx on a daily basis for 12 yrs and Inventor for 11 years.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

It all began in 1993 actually.  So the 25 years might be a bit off.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

It all began in 1993, when SolidWorks founder Jon Hirschtick recruited a team of engineers ...

In 1995, the first release of SolidWorks® software was ready for the market.

Maybe the OP was one of the original recruites.  Smiley Very Happy

In Inventor the Project Geometry command is roughly the same as the Include Geometry command in SWx.

Inventor does not automatically project as much as SWx, and what setting there are to autoproject I prefer to turn off.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

Semantics, I have been using SolidWorks for so long it feels more like foerever 🙂

Thanks for all the responses.

Message 11 of 12
panzilte

In my opinion having to project geometry into a 2D sketch is one of the downsides to Inventor.  What will help you from having to create un-needed geometry in your sketches is reference geometry.  Complete the first sketch.  Then create a series of work points on your first sketch (this can be points in the first sketch or work points from the reference geomtry commands).  Then project these work points into the second sketch.  Additionally, sometimes complex lofts do not loft correctly in Inventor (for example a lofted-cut will leave some surfaces behind).  I have experienced is that the profile sketches do not completely follow the guide rails.  To overcome this, I have used surfacing techniques and the combine command in order to achieve the desired result.  Hope this helps.

I do understand your frown I was forced to make the switch from SW to INV several years ago.  This is kind of like switching from driving a Porsche to a Yugo that was modified by Chip Foose.

Message 12 of 12
spackle42

Personally I prefer a system that doesn't try to automate too much as it allows greater control. Probably the same reason I held out using DOS so long before switching to windows Smiley Happy

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report