Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solidworks file convert into ipt or iam ext

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rupesh.rsm
8468 Views, 6 Replies

solidworks file convert into ipt or iam ext

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible solidworks file convert into the ipt or iam ext.

With Best Regards,

Rupesh Mahadik..

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: rupesh.rsm

Inventor can convert SolidWorks files to Inventor. SolidWorks cannot save in Inventor format. Conversely, Inventor can not save to SolidWorks format. I don't remember if SolidWorks can directly import Inventor files or not.
Your best bet is to save to the STEP format. Every CAD package I'm aware of can handle STEP files with good results.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

If you have a Solidworks .sldprt or an .sldasm file you can open them up within a session of Inventor directly.  Just change the file type in the open dialog window.

sw.JPG

Then once open, just save it as an .ipt or .iam file.

But, with that said, what versions of Inventor and SW are we talking about?  If they are too far removed (version wise) from each other then this may not work.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

But, with that said, what versions of Inventor and SW are we talking about?  If they are too far removed (version wise) from each other then this may not work.

Good point Scott, actually it should be pointed out that typically the SolidWorks file needs to have been made in a version one year (or more) older than the version of Inventor you're using. Which is another reason to just use STEP.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
wwoehlke

I agree with Mike (not Matt) Rattray. Save your Solidworks file as a STEP file and then open that with Inventor. I do it all the time with 2012 SW and 2012 Inventor. Works great every time. When you go the other way, SolidWorks actually runs your part through a diagnostic and rebuilds it feature by feature. That always impresses the bosses when you are sitting back watching this thing build itself one extrusion and hole at a time. Mine always goes, Wow thats cool!
Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: wwoehlke

@wwoehlke wrote:
... When you go the other way, SolidWorks actually runs your part through a diagnostic and rebuilds it feature by feature.

Inventor will do the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: wwoehlke

I guess that is personal preference.  I know when I go to vendor websites, if they do not have Inventor models to download I will choose SW models.  They load just fine.  Step files do work, but in my humble opinion, you get more integrity in your model if you can load it directly (SW into Inventor and vise versa) as long as the versions are accomodating.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report