Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid from surfaces

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tmccar
1027 Views, 13 Replies

Solid from surfaces

What is the easiest way to create a solid from the patch surfaces in the attached part.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
brendan.henderson
in reply to: tmccar

Thicken/Offset gives the surfaces thickness. Note that when I opened the file in 2014 there were 4 features that need attention.

THICKEN.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Do you know what is wrong with them?
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

Sketch7 has a sick (pink) projected line (delete the line that appears to have sick endpoints.

You most likely deleted the reference at some point.  (I noticed that Sketch1 is not constrained.)

Sketch5 is not needed - simply a duplication of Sketch1.

Work Axis2 is not needed - simply a duplication of the Z Axis.

Sketch6 is not needed.

I would do Workplane3 as a parametric plane.  (if it is even needed, which I doubt)

Circular Pattern1 referenced sick Sketch7. 

...and on down the line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, I have made it from scratch and it is now stitching together ok. My geometry was a bit off in the previous  one.

Message 6 of 14
admaiora

An alternative way for your geometric model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_AkVtb3NU

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: admaiora

That's a clever way to do it indeed. I have Inventor LT and I don't have that functionality.
Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! I fixed up the sick sketch and simplified the model a bit. It is a solid now. Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
wimann

I was going to show another example. I found some time to throw this together today but was a little late on my response to your post.

I tend to shoot for having as few sketches/driving dimensions as possible. But the geometry you have here makes that a little challenging. I don't know if I would call the part I created a "Final Product" or if I would rather do some more refining, but I think it works for now.

Thanks,

EDIT: Also, while messing around with it, I tried messing around with it to create different internal geometry. The second attachment using a loft and a shell before patterning worked out to make a pretty cool lookin' result. Thought I'd share. Thanks again.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 10 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson -did you make the geometry from scratch?
Message 11 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: wimann

Excellent work, Wimann! You're thinking outside the box.
Message 12 of 14
wimann

@tmccar wrote:
Excellent work, Wimann! You're thinking outside the box.

Thank you. I understand it may not directly answer your question. But that is how I might try approaching the task. The handy thing about it is that most of it is not controlled by the user when it comes to changing size. In Alternative2.ipt, the only dimension that needs to be changed is the 6" long edge length given to the pentagon sketched (construction lines) in the middle. It's the only dimension that isn't driven or reference.

This approach may not be at all what you're looking for but thank you for the reply.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 13 of 14
brendan.henderson

And another modelling method http://www.inventortales.com/2012/11/all-for-fun-again-modeling-12-sided-die.html

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 14 of 14
tmccar
in reply to: brendan.henderson

That's a very interesting way of constructing it. It's such a cool shape, and there's so much going on in a dodecahedron. One way of looking at it is, it's composed of lots of pyramids (tetrahedra).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report