Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Body part file sketches

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
PACDrafting
1210 Views, 26 Replies

Solid Body part file sketches

I'm editing a solid body part file.

I've made all sketches and workplanes etc not visible.

When i edit a sketch down the tree, obviously the sketch becomes visible but the problem I have is some other sketches and workplanes also become visible.

Why might this be so?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
PACDrafting
in reply to: PACDrafting

OK. Now i realise that anything that has been projected to that sketch e.g. another sketch or feature, it makes those items visible.

Is there a way to stop this from occurring?

Thanks

Message 3 of 27
JDMather

How are you changing the visibility?  On the view toolbar or by right clicking on the feature or sketch in the browser?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 27
PACDrafting
in reply to: JDMather

All individual features and sketches are off

Message 5 of 27
PACDrafting
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD

As mentioned all individual features and sketches are off in the browser. Not using the object visibility.

It is common behaviour for this to happen.

Just need to know if there is a registry area to change this setting. This is because it doesnt seem to be available in standard inventor application options.

Message 6 of 27

Hi Paul,

If the sketch contains the projections of other sketches, I don’t think there is a way to edit the sketch without displaying the projection of the other sketches in it.

For the features, can you try the slice graphic mode.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 7 of 27
PACDrafting

Thanks Vinod

But what it's doing is:

If I have all sketches turned off then edit 1 sketch it turns some other sketches on for nO reason.
Message 8 of 27

Does the sketch has any projected geometry from other sketches ? Can you send me a quick video of what's happening and if possible the sketch as well to test at my end.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 9 of 27

I guess I have the same problem.

Do you mean a Multi Body Part with Solid Body Part? Here I´m working in a Multi Body Part environment and if I go back editing a sketch where a Solid Body is already applied to the sketch, it will enable all User Workplanes and a couple of sketches.

My main concern is with the Workplanes since they block my view when editing a sketch with a Solid Body or feature applied.

Haven´t tested with features only if Workplanes get visible too but so far I can confirm that when I delete the Solid Body applied to a sketch and edit this very sketch again, Workplanes don´t become visible again

Message 10 of 27

I will have to see if I can manage to get the exact model.

I am in another Office at present and don't have access to it.

It seems to have only happened once the solid body model was modified a number of times. It had a number of combined solids which were changed a number of times.

Thanks

Paul.

Message 11 of 27
PACDrafting
in reply to: falkmassmann

Vinod this is the exact issue I have.

Can you please inspect this persons model.

Thanks

Message 12 of 27

Sure Paul.

falkmassmann, can you provide me your model. I will investigate and get back to you on this. 

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 13 of 27

I´m sorry, I can´t provide you with my actual workfile, but I have created a Test part where the problem is comprehensible.

I´ve created 3 Solid bodies at the end of the file, if you activate Sketch 4 you will see that all Workplanes become visible.

Infact I have a user defined view active (Ansicht1) which has all Workplanes invisible. If you delete the last 3 solid bodies and activate sketch 4 again no Workplanes become visible anymore.

Reapply Solid bodies to sketch 4 and the problem reappears.

Cheers Falk

Message 14 of 27
PACDrafting

Hi falkmassmann Just another question while Vinod inspects this model. Using the multi body part technique. How do you get the BOM to work once you have made all your parts and assemblies? E.g. If a solid has been created with an ifeature structural member profile. How do you assign the member size and length with in the make part?
Message 15 of 27
falkmassmann

I don´t do it in the MBP, I edit the BOM after I´ve created all the parts from the solids.

I currently work on an iLogic script for editing the required BOM Information into the solids based on blocks and property values inside the MBP which then exports the required part information down into the parts.

I haven´t made up my mind how I apply the required information, it´s actually not as straight forward as I first thought,

since the script will have to detect structual beams based on some unique information.

Right now I think using a block, which defines what kind of beams are used, is the way to go to handle part information.

Then I have PP-Plates too which are not so easy to handle. There I only want to know the wall thickness and material to define our Stocknumber, so it gets detected by our PDM System and connected to the right material master in SAP. And obviously I will have to get the dimensions like G_L of beams or G_L & G_B from plates.

Cheers Falk

Message 16 of 27
PACDrafting

Yes why Autodesk don't allow cut lists driven in the MBP is be on me.
Solid Works has this functionality. I see this as important requirement.
Message 17 of 27
PACDrafting

Yes I've written some code to grab the thickness for plates and link it to the MBP. Then the plates are flat pattern in sheet metal to get width and length. Structural members driven from ifeatures are a different issue. I might look into the blocks as you have done.
Message 18 of 27
falkmassmann

So you define your plates as sheet metals and get your custom length and width from the unfolded sheet metal?

Did you find a way to make the sheet metal unfold automatically?

If I remember correctly you would have to unfold them manually to get the automatic <sheet metal width> and <sheet metal length> values from the sheet metal part into the custom properties.

I was thinking about creating all the part properties in the MBP and then export them in the assembly and push them further down to the parts based on solid body naming schemes, since the solid body name and the part name are identical.

Cheers Falk

Message 19 of 27
PACDrafting

Yes. My code creates an auto flat pattern of all sheet metal parts.
The length and width come from the sheet metal FLAT PATTERN LENGTH and FLAT PATTERN WIDTH results.
Message 20 of 27
rajeshindi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report