Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid body colors

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
DewayneH
258 Views, 6 Replies

Solid body colors

I noticed that when creating a component in 2010 all the parts that were created copied the color from the features of the solid bodies in the master file. This will not allow the color of the part to update if the material is changed. I need for the feature color style (see attachment) to be "As Part" by default so that when a material is changed the part color updates accordingly. As is sits after creating a component I would have to go into each file and change the properties of the derived solid to make this happen. Is there a setting for this that I am missing?
Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: DewayneH

Try making your changes, deleting all features and saving your modified IPT
as a Template IPT (something like "Derived IPT") in your template file. The
next time you create a new derived IPT, the changes should be present.

--
InventorSuite 2010
Dell Precision 690
Dual Quad Core E5320 @ 1.86GHz
4Gb DDR SDRam - 667 Mhz, ECC
SAS 146Gb - 15k rpm
Quadro FX3500 256Mb - Driver: 190.38 Bios: 5.71.22.55.08
Direct 3D
XP Pro Sp3 3Gb/2800
Space Explorer USB, release: 3.7.18 driver 6.7.13 firmware 3.17
AVG 8.5
wrote in message news:6233787@discussion.autodesk.com...
I noticed that when creating a component in 2010 all the parts that were
created copied the color from the features of the solid bodies in the master
file. This will not allow the color of the part to update if the material is
changed. I need for the feature color style (see attachment) to be "As Part"
by default so that when a material is changed the part color updates
accordingly. As is sits after creating a component I would have to go into
each file and change the properties of the derived solid to make this
happen. Is there a setting for this that I am missing?
Message 3 of 7
DewayneH

Didn't work. Any other possible solutions.
Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
Message 4 of 7
scottmoyse

I think this issue extends to the material settings as well. Love the idea of multiple body ipt's and the option to create parts & assemblies from it, but when you set the material of the resulting parts, the colors of those materials are represented. You have to go and set this as part thing. I haven't looked into these in any great detail personally but i hope there is an option in the make parts dialogue that allows to to default to as part.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 7

Hi Dewayne,

I'm afraid there is no good way to make this happen without additional steps like you mention. In 2010 we introduced the option to derive or not the colors from the master component. You can see this in the attached image. This is greyed during create since most users want to derive the colors. The detailed steps to assign a part color to your derived components are:

1. Edit the derived feature node
2. Uncheck the "Use colors from source component"
3. OK
4. RMB on each of the solids and select part color
5. Now you can assign any SINGLE color to your derived parts through the color dropdown

I'm thinking when you do Step 2, we could possibly assign part color to each of the bodies under the derived node so that you dont' have to do Step 4 and 5. This will be a wishlist. Thanks.

Best regards
shekar Edited by: shekarsub[Autodesk] on Aug 12, 2009 11:11 AM
Message 6 of 7
DewayneH

Thanks for the feed back. I was hoping I was just missing something. This is a real bummer! I use the color as a visual cue to let me know if I have the correct material set for a part. Now I will not be able to know for sure. Using the solid bodies is going to be tricky in this area. I love what the solid bodies will do for my current workflow, this is a few unnecessary steps I hope we can eliminate in the future.
You mentioned "This will be a wishlist", has it been logged or will I need to follow thru on the wishlist to get this recognized.

Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
Message 7 of 7

I have entered this in our quality database. Thanks.

Regards
shekar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report