Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Block randomly converted into a Surface Body. HOW TO REVERT? PLEASE HELP.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
keletho478
917 Views, 8 Replies

Solid Block randomly converted into a Surface Body. HOW TO REVERT? PLEASE HELP.

See uploaded image.

I was working on a solid block (just one solid block named Solid1) where any extrusions and fillets were made on that one block. But randomly, I somehow created a new solid (solid 3) from an extrusion which made me unable to do any edits to the original solid block 1. This can easily be solved by using the Combine Tool, but there is a problem worse than that. The original solid block randomly converted itself into a Surface Body! How is this even possible? The program recognizes it as a surface body although it is made up of a solid block and NOT a surface body. I have uploaded the file so you guys can check it out and help.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/astcs2ql1y2wvpc/1964_Ford_Falcon_Body_Hood_v2_NoPlanes_More_Errors...

What I need is just to revert the original solid block from being a surface body back into a solid block form. In the picture, you can see that it was originally named Solid1 but now is in the surface body section...Is there a way to put that back into a solid block and then use the Combine Tool to combine Solid3 with Solid1? Because as of now, the Combine Tool will not let me combine a surface body and 1 solid block as you need 2 solid blocks instead.

I hope I am making sense.

help.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: keletho478

You don't show the entire feature tree, but my guess is you used a Delete Face feature.

Attach your file here.

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
keletho478
in reply to: JDMather

Yes I did use 3 delete face features...

And the upload size maxed out at 5.2 but mine is 18 mb zipped 

Message 4 of 9
keletho478

I think I figured out why. When you use delete face feature and create a new sketch and extrude it, it automatically creates a new solid. Why is that? Is there a way to prevent that while still being able to use the feature? 

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

A solid cannot be a solid with a missing face - Delete Face converts a solid into a Surface Body unless you have the Heal option checked.

Of course if you have no solid body because you used Delete Face, the next Extrude you do is going to create  an New Solid unless you have opted for Surface body feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
keletho478

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
cmanzo1

Just had this happen.. What is the fix?  Go back and undelete the faces?

Cheers,

C

Message 8 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: cmanzo1

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
cmanzo1

THANKS - I read your previous post... sure enough, I deleted faces from a wonky build and left the part unfinished... it made it a surface body.

So, I deleted the 'deleted faces' and it reconverted to a solid.  Just have to be careful in deleting small odd faces.  All is well - thanks again JD!  C

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report