Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, what software to believe?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
acwtzwegers
448 Views, 3 Replies

So, what software to believe?

I need weight (volume/length or basically area times density) and statical values (Ix, Iy) of varied profiles for quotes. I started noting differences in different software - for the same profiles, from the same .dwg. So who do I believe?

Attached are the massprops of AutoCAD Mechanical, Inventor and Solidworks of a basically rectangular profile of 217 mm x 10 mm. (with r=0.5 mm fillets on the corners). In Inventor and Solidworks I basically extruded it 1000 mm.

Ok, area should be about 217x10=2170 mm^2 (minus the fillets, about 0.05 mm^2 each) and Ix=217x10^3/12=18083 and Iy=10x217^3/12=8515261 ... according to my minimal understanding of such things combined with my calculator.;)

Now, I just don't see much of these numbers in Inventor or Solidworks... am I looking wrong or calculating wrong or which one is actually accurate?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Inventor & SW are giving you the properties of the whole 1 m bar, not a cross-section.  For example, the area given is the entire surface area of the bar, not just one end.  And the moments given by Inventor & SW are mass moments, not area moments.

Message 3 of 4
acwtzwegers
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you, that makes sense.

Any way to let Inventor give me the area moments etc? It is what software our customers use needs to see if constructions are according to norm.

Message 4 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: acwtzwegers

While editing the sketch, use Region Properties on the Inspect tab, Measure panel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report