Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I'm really getting tired of restarting Inventor.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
zma1013
964 Views, 12 Replies

So I'm really getting tired of restarting Inventor.

Two things bothering me is that there is no way to purge the memory and that Inventor often gets stuck in update mode on drawings where the green brackets stay on all the drawing views.  Will this ever get better or does Autodesk intend for their product to be restarted every 15 minutes?

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: zma1013

Never actually had that problem. Although your computer specs look very bare bone.

Message 3 of 13
mrattray

2 gigs of RAM isn't enough.

Get more RAM. I consider an absolute bare bones minimum to be 4 gig and that's going to leave you crippled if you ever want to work on large files. Of course, that's also the maximum on a 32 bit system.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 13
jletcher

2 Gigs af ram LOL, XP takes 1 gig so you have 1 gig for Inventor. This will never work unless you have only a 2 part assembly. Computers are cheap upgrade my friend....

Message 5 of 13
zma1013

They shouldn't list the specs on the box for XP and 2GB of ram then.  I generally don't work with large assemblies, usually it's just single parts, and it still has problems.  I'm not even the one who put this computer together, it was an Autodesk reseller sales rep.  Pretty funny huh?

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 6 of 13
ampster401

@zma1013 wrote:

I'm not even the one who put this computer together, it was an Autodesk reseller sales rep.  Pretty funny huh?

you may have stated when you got this computer before but I didn't notice.  Going by 2GB ram and 256MB vid ram, I'd say that pc is 3 or more yrs old by now - which wasn't bad back then, at least for a basic system.

If you can, try to get updated to Win7/64 bit plus maybe 6 to 8GB of ram and maybe a 1GB ram graphics card/s.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

@zma1013 wrote:

They shouldn't list the specs on the box for XP and 2GB of ram then.  I generally don't work with large assemblies, usually it's just single parts, and it still has problems.  I'm not even the one who put this computer together, it was an Autodesk reseller sales rep.  Pretty funny huh?

Didn't know they built computers too. For your next computer, seriously consider doing it yourself with TigerDirect or Newegg. I've built two and saved well over a thousand dollars on each compared to all but the most questionable of quotes. This one has 24 gigs of RAM. The customer feedback and reviews will help you avoid junk and they are so easy to put together these days. No dip switches or anything. Plus you get a machine that isn't proprietary and you know how to upgrade. If you can use Inventor, you can slap a computer together and it's a fun project.

The Autodesk minimum requirements are literally minimum requirements. And they mean 2 gigs free. Not two gigs on the computer. So the OS eats into that total.

Message 8 of 13
zma1013

Well this is a computer at work, so they ordered from a local sales rep.  I personally know how to and have built computers for myself at home.  Just venting frustration here, as I will have trouble convincing them that I need a new computer.  It is about 3 years old but still, I do remember this being a problem even when the computer was new and had the older version of Inventor on it.  Didn't have the drawing update problem but constantly have had to retart Inventor since for the memory consumption problem.

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 9 of 13
mrattray

I hope you don't have a harder time then I've had convincing management to se us up for Vault.

That computer was low end (too low end for CAD IMO) three years ago.To put it in perspective I'm doing work to a pretty averagish drawing by my standards, a layout for an assembly with 150 parts, and I'm using just under 4 gigs (grandtotal).

You just need to show them the numbers for how much it costs them in wasted wages for you to restart your POS every 5 minutes vs. cost for a real machine.

Good luck.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 13
jtylerbc

You could look into using the 3GB Switch, which would allocate more virtual memory to Inventor than 32 bit normally would allow.  It's not a true fix to your problem, but it will extend the limits of how long you can work before running into memory trouble.

Also verify that your virtual memory's settings are set as high as you can get them.  The other posters are correct in saying your hardware isn't really sufficient, but if your virtual memory settings are too low you might be making it even worse on yourself than the hardware would on its own.

I work on an outdated hunk of junk as well, so I understand your situation.  My home computer that I use for checking email, surfing the web, and playing games is more powerful than my work machine.  I have actually started keeping a log of the time I lose due to restarting, or crashing, or other issues relating to needing more power.  You might consider doing the same to have something to show to management to try to justify a new machine.

Message 11 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: jtylerbc

A 3 gig switch only works if you have 4 gigs of ram. He's running 2 gigs.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 13
jtylerbc
in reply to: mrattray

Ah, yes.  Missed that detail.  Been a while since I've used the switch - our IT here considers it a "hack" and won't do it.

A RAM upgrade and the 3 GB switch could be a short-term workaround though.

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

tell your boss to get real

I wouldnt give that pc to my 12 year old for schoolwork

you can build a decent inventor machine for 2 1/2 to 3 grand

Dont bother with the HP or DELL 'CAD Machines' they are speced up for using opengl and multiple cores/thread proccessing and are massively over priced (my work PC cost 12k and cpu has 12 cores...autocad goes good but inventor struggles and never uses more than about 5% of the cpu as it only uses one core for the main proccessing of data)

where as inventor uses directx

CAD Machine = Big Dollars = AutoCAD need it due to a crap graphics engine

Gaming Machine = afordable = Inventor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report