Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth lofts from inside a part

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mattsons
834 Views, 2 Replies

Smooth lofts from inside a part

In this dolphin i am working, i want the fin to flow smoothly into the body, the fillet doesn't look right. I have created the base of the fin inside of the body and suppressed it, then lofted them through points and a 3d spline. I get errors though, "can not create" and such, so i found that i have to extrude the inner surface to the outside of the body for it to work, but then it doesn't flow smoothly into the body. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to adjust this, how to merge the fin smoothly into the body? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: mattsons

I see two problems.
The first is that the profile is not smooth - tangent continuous.
The second is that the path does not end at a point in the 2D sketch (create a construction line a sketchpoint to terminate).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mattsons

Hi! Great model I must say. If I were you, I would not make the fin a solid feature. I would create a loft surface and then extend it to the main body. Lastly use Sculpt feature to create the solid fin.

On the current model, you can do the following to avoid some rework.

1. Thicken/Offset -> pick the Loft2 face -> set output to Surface -> distance = 0. Basically copy the face associatively.

2. Make the surface invisible.

3. Delete Face -> pick the Loft2 face and the Extrusion7 faces. You will get a solid with a hole. Actually, you will have two surface bodies now.

4. Make the offset surface visible.

5. Extend the surface toward the main body.

6. Sculpt -> pick the extended surface and the main body.

This is just a proof of concept. I would rework it by creating loft surface and sculpting the surfaces instead.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report