Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Constraints

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
494 Views, 11 Replies

Slow Constraints

I am working in a large assembly model and adding constraints, deleting constrains and deleting parts has become very slow. To add a constraint takes about 60 sec. This model was working fine then this started. Rotating, zooming, and opening files is not affected. Any Ideas? Matt -- Windows XP SP1 Dell Precision 360 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 3.0 GB DDR Ram nVidia Quadro FX 1000 Driver 5.3.0.3 w/registry update
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you added any features created at the assembly level recently? This tends to kill an assembly in my experience. "Matt Spears" wrote in message news:40f3ff46$1_2@newsprd01... > I am working in a large assembly model and adding constraints, deleting > constrains and deleting parts has become very slow. To add a constraint > takes about 60 sec. This model was working fine then this started. > Rotating, zooming, and opening files is not affected. Any Ideas? > > Matt > -- > Windows XP SP1 > Dell Precision 360 > 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 > 3.0 GB DDR Ram > nVidia Quadro FX 1000 > Driver 5.3.0.3 w/registry update > > >
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Embossing does as well -- Cory McConnell Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert www.mechanixdesigns.com
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Come to think about it, just about everything I do kills Inventor......... "Cory McConnell" wrote in message news:40f40c38$1_3@newsprd01... > Embossing does as well > > -- > Cory McConnell > Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert > www.mechanixdesigns.com > >
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Do you have any adaptive parts in the assembly?
Message 6 of 12
statracing

We have a large model that takes minutes every time we add/remove. Lots of adaptive parts.

Any thoughts to improve this.

ATTN: AUTODESK
We are going to purchase R9, has this been improved??
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

It was supposed to be improved vastly in R8 but I saw no difference over 7 so I think maybe it's just the nature of the beast to be slow on large assemblies. Hey it's faster than doing it on the board eh? "statracing" wrote in message news:19331581.1089749825688.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > We have a large model that takes minutes every time we add/remove. Lots of adaptive parts. > > Any thoughts to improve this. > > ATTN: AUTODESK > We are going to purchase R9, has this been improved??
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Assembly size and performance are both significantly affected by assembly features. If an assembly was "fine" a few days ago and is now sluggish - did you add some number of assembly features? Based on some observations made by participants here, we have isolated some of these types of issues and are working on enhancements. Adapativity is a double-edge sword. If you need to have lots and lots of parts in an adaptive state to support massive changes during your convergence to an optimal design solution - you simply need to be aware that adaptivity takes compute time. If you don't need a part to adapt (for example, suppose you adapt it to size and are sure it is the size it needs to be) toggle the adaptivity OFF. Another aspect of organization that can impact your overall performance involves the structure of your assembly (both within Inventor and on disc). Logical subassemblies with the needed constraints works better than thousands of parts/constraints at the top-most level. Also, keeping thousands of parts in a single directory can be less effective from a Microsoft performance standpoint. Be sure you have plenty of swap space as well.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

In general it is a good idea to turn adaptivity off after you don't need it any more. I have a program on my site called KWiKFolders that you can use to keep track of which parts need to be adaptive to make the assembly update correctly. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "statracing" wrote in message news:19331581.1089749825688.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > We have a large model that takes minutes every time we add/remove. Lots of adaptive parts. > > Any thoughts to improve this. > > ATTN: AUTODESK > We are going to purchase R9, has this been improved??
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Turn off the adaptivity. Anytime you add or remove constraints IV checks to see how the constraint affects all of the adaptive parts. If you need to allow the constraint to change a part, then turn the adaptivity back on to let the part update and then turn off again. Adaptivity is a great tool, however it really should be turned off after a part is sized. statracing wrote: > We have a large model that takes minutes every time we add/remove. Lots of adaptive parts. > > Any thoughts to improve this. > > ATTN: AUTODESK > We are going to purchase R9, has this been improved?? -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

I do not have an adaptively or assembly features. The file structure on the server is as follows: p:\04-xxxxx\details \assemblies \weldment archive \commercials The commercials folder is the only one that contains sub folders, by manufacturer. Using a local workspace. The details folder has the most files, 1120. Thanks for all the information. matt "Gary R. Smith (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:40f446bc$1_1@newsprd01... > Assembly size and performance are both significantly affected by assembly > features. If an assembly was "fine" a few days ago and is now sluggish - did > you add some number of assembly features? Based on some observations made by > participants here, we have isolated some of these types of issues and are > working on enhancements. > > Adapativity is a double-edge sword. If you need to have lots and lots of > parts in an adaptive state to support massive changes during your > convergence to an optimal design solution - you simply need to be aware that > adaptivity takes compute time. If you don't need a part to adapt (for > example, suppose you adapt it to size and are sure it is the size it needs > to be) toggle the adaptivity OFF. > > Another aspect of organization that can impact your overall performance > involves the structure of your assembly (both within Inventor and on disc). > Logical subassemblies with the needed constraints works better than > thousands of parts/constraints at the top-most level. Also, keeping > thousands of parts in a single directory can be less effective from a > Microsoft performance standpoint. > > Be sure you have plenty of swap space as well. > >
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

"Albert Allen" writes: > It was supposed to be improved vastly in R8 but I saw no difference over 7 > so I think maybe it's just the nature of the beast to be slow on large > assemblies. With adaptive parts, the time to analize the constraint-system for redundency can be a considerable portion of the overall update time. Since not all users are concerned with redundency all the time, we added a checkbox on the Assembly tab of the Application Options dialog to enable/disable constraint redundency analysis. This only applies to redundency analysis, not consistency analysis. > "statracing" wrote in message > > We have a large model that takes minutes every time we add/remove. Lots of > adaptive parts. This probably won't help in this particular case, because the default setting is to have this analysis disabled and you didn't indicate that you have changed this setting, so I'm guessing you have it disabled aleady, but I wanted to take this opportunity to point out the setting. It tends to the greatest impact on assemblies with lots of adaptive parts. -- William K. Sterbenz Inventor Assemblies Development Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report