Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
wmd2
Message 1 of 6 (288 Views)

slotting a cap screw

288 Views, 5 Replies
11-16-2012 04:31 PM

Mr Mather,

Experiencing some difficulty slotting the cap screw shown. The problem is this: an additional sketch is created using a rectangle .313 * .094 centered .2815 * .047 from the center of the screwhead. The sketch gets finished the extrusion is created but does not show up. The extrusion is not visible even though a new sketch was created.

Contributor
wmd2
Message 2 of 6 (285 Views)

Re: slotting a cap screw

11-16-2012 04:47 PM in reply to: wmd2

Here is the drawing with the extrusion. However, when the screw is rotated from the isometric view to a front view the extrusion is no longer visible. What needs to be corrected?

Distinguished Contributor
luiww
Message 3 of 6 (269 Views)

11-16-2012 08:38 PM in reply to: wmd2

You need to close the profile as the centreline is not recognised as part of the profile.  Attached is the closed profile for the screw body.

Contributor
wmd2
Message 4 of 6 (234 Views)

11-18-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: luiww

Ok I see what you did. However, the caphead is supposed to be round on the top. So, how is that design feature accomodated with the slotting?

*Pro
sbixler
Message 5 of 6 (215 Views)

11-18-2012 02:14 PM in reply to: wmd2

Have you had any training?  Worked through any tutorials?

You have produced two disconnected surfaces and then extruded a third one through those two, producing a third surface.  I think that you want a single solid, correct?

I don't have 2012 installed at home, so I can't produce a model for you.  But you want to fix your first sketch first- it's not fully constrained (constrain it to the origin point), and the center line is actually two lines which are construction type.  Change it to one normal (non-construction) centerline type line.  With a centerline-type line, dimensions to other features are taken as diameters rather than radii.

Now your second sketch needs to be incorporated into the first one-- I don't see any benefit to making it a separate feature.  When you revolve that sketch you should get a solid model rather than a surface model.

Now for the slot-- again, the profile needs to be closed, and it should cut the slot exactly as you wish.

JD Mather has a very good basic skills white paper available.  I don't have the link saved at home, but a quick browse through his responses to various problems should turn up the link.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 6 (208 Views)

11-18-2012 03:42 PM in reply to: wmd2

Start a new part file.

Create the sketch shown below.  One sketch!

Attach the file here.

You might also read this documnent.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Sketch1.PNG

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.