Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sliver trimming

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bcrowell
588 Views, 3 Replies

Sliver trimming

A coworker is making a punch and is trying to trim the corners off of the model.  As of yet, we have tried subtraction extrusions, subtraction lofts, sweeps, etc to attempt to remove the material from the corners of this punch.  There is a small sliver between the outside curvature of the profile corner and just inside that profile.  It simply needs to be trimmed in that profile, normal to the flat surface of the punch.  He tried larger sketched geometry and it subtracted just fine, but it will not remove the sliver.

The part was originally derived with the mold, but some changes had to be made to the punch part to allow for the forming.  I have tried to compress the part enough to upload it , but have not been able to get it below 5MB so I have attached pictures.  They get progressively closer, zooming in to the small area in picture PUNCH3 between the red and blue line that we are trying to remove.

Any help would be appreciated.

We are running similar but not exactly the same computers, but use the same IV11 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried to compress the part enough to upload it , but have not been able to get it below 5MB so I have attached pictures.  .

We are running similar but not exactly the same computers, but use the same IV11 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Did you roll up the EOP before zipping to get the smallest filesize possible?
Find the red End of Part marker in the browser and drag to the top of the browser hiding all features from the graphics window.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
Is the resulting *.zip file still too large to attach here?

I can't really see the problem from the pictures - but my first thought is Delete Face with Heal option.

My second thought is to fix it in the Construction Environment.

Inventor 11 is a really old release and not supported as 64-bit - are you sure you aren't running Inventor 2011?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, yes it is 2011.

Didn't know about rolling up the EOP before zipping- thank you.  Here it is.

The sketch geometry he is trying to use is in Sketch 17.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

Well I took a quick look and didn't even get past the initial imported geometry.
It looks to my like it should be symmetrical but isn't.

And even if the design intent wasn't for symmetrical part - these faces still don't look good to me.
I would want to clean these up or get a clean model before going any further.

Edit: I healed the faces I was concerned about, shelled the 3.5 off and moved to origin.
see if anything can be done with attached.  (I got confused on what you are trying to trim off and the purpose of three consecutive Thickens of the same face.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report