Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice graphics only works in sketch. Hard to assemble.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mailswamp
4286 Views, 10 Replies

Slice graphics only works in sketch. Hard to assemble.

I am drafting a machine where to place a sepper motor it will have to be pushed into a square tube, sideways and will have to be bolted to the wall.

To see everything when I assemble this machine in Autodesk Inventor I want to see the square tube cut in half lengthwise.

Is there an option that allows me to 'slice graphics' but only in assembly mode?

I am learning by the videos.

Thank you.

Vladimir Tolskiy.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Chriske
in reply to: mailswamp

Sliced assembly is rather easy to perform,

I usualy make a copy of that project first,
On the spot you want the slice to appear you first have to make a workplane, on that workplane draw a square or any other shape you want the sliced part to be. Extrude/cut the needed part that has to go.

Sometimes I need to have some parts visible somewhere in the sliced part.  I first mark these parts as 'invisible' perform the slicing and set these parts 'visible' again afterward.

Hope it helps..

Chris

Message 3 of 11
rdyson

View > Appearance > Half Section View

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 11
mailswamp
in reply to: rdyson

Half section looks like the right command, Rdyson.

The problem is that Inventor asks me for some offset. Than I enter an offset of lets say -0.2" and nothing changes. Than I enter an offset of -2", which is bigger than my part and that causes the whole part to disappear.

I want a slice view so I can see the part sliced along some plane.

How do I do that?

Making the part look transperent by choosing "glass" as a material doesn't help because I still cannot select inner planes of the part with ease.

Thank you,

Vladimir Tolskiy

Message 5 of 11
mailswamp

Thank you.

Problem solved.

I slowly linked all the missing files to their counterparts, scattered in the model folder.

Message 6 of 11
SBix26

Another possibility for this situation is to disable some components-- right click on the component that's in the way and select Enabled (removes the check mark).  This turns the icon in the browser green, and the component becomes transparent and unselectable.  Very useful.  To re-enable it, you'll have to use the browser entry since the graphic representation is unselectable.

Message 7 of 11
mailswamp
in reply to: SBix26

I may do that.

Can Slice graphics slice a component away partially? Is there some option that I am missing?

I want to see inside several of my components so far.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
SBix26

The Quarter Section, Half Section & Three-Quarter Section view tools slice all components, at least in Inventor 2011, so you do not have the option to section only some of the components.  One trick that I learned here long ago is to temporarily suppress a couple of key constraints in your assembly, and/or unground it, so that it can be dragged around through the section plane(s), giving you a dynamic sectioned view.  This might be helpful for your situation where you are attempting to constrain components inside an enclosure.

Message 9 of 11
mailswamp
in reply to: SBix26

I click "half section view", than I click the plane I want the slice to be adjacent to, than I type in a depth into the text line that appeared. Than I click the check mark and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

Is this normal? What settings could cause this?

Message 10 of 11
mailswamp

Is this normal?

Message 11 of 11
SBix26

This is not normal.  When I select Half Section View, then select a cutting plane, I immediately see the slice, along with the Offset entry box.  As I enter an offset value, I see the graphics adjust accordingly, or I can use the mouse scroll wheel withing the Offset dialog box to place the slice where I want it.  Either something is wrong with your graphics, or you have misunderstood something about how the tool works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report