Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketched Symbol Insert bug?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
CelticDesignServices
515 Views, 12 Replies

Sketched Symbol Insert bug?

We've got a sketched symbol that locates to the center of holes on a part.

Problem is, the symbol either doesn't recognize the hole's center and even if it does, the center of the symbol (the designated insertion point) jumps to the edge of the hole.

I've even recreated the symbol and I get the same effect.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Anyone?

We are in a crunch and need this fixed ASAP.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 3 of 13

Can you attach an empty idw with the symbol included?  Also, what version are you using?

Message 4 of 13

OK, more info on this....

If I create a new part and create a hole, the symbol locates correctly.

But if I create a new hole in one of the part files in question, it has an issue.

One thing I've noticed is some of the parts this is happening on are imported files. Why would that matter? Especially if the hole was created new and not an imported feature?

Another issue is that I've been told some of the parts having this issue where actually created as native Inventor files but I haven't been able to verify that as of yet. So I'm back to square one.

Looking into this more.....

======

C,

We are using 2012 Inventor series.

I'm working on being able to post an example model, drawign and symbol.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 5 of 13

Perhaps the holes on the imported parts are not perfectly round.  Even on newly created holes.  Imported geometry can be quite "inexact", so whichever face the new hole goes through may not be exactly planar or even perpendicular to the hole axis.  This would result in a hole edge that isn't a perfect circle.

I'm just guessing here, but a non-circular edge might cause the symbol behavior you are seeing.

Message 6 of 13

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

The user insists this is happening even on parts he created as native Inventor files but I'm unable to reproduce on any files I create.

Granted, when the entity is highlighted for selection, it shows up as being a complete "circle", not fragments, but again, that doesn't specifically mean it's a perfect circle.

The symbols are jumping to the end point of a entity that is an arc or radius and to what seems like a random point of the "circular" entities.

And of course, this is being passed on as being a "bug in Inventor".

Still trying to see if I can post a model in question on this.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 7 of 13

Here's an example file of the part and the symbol (named: Test Open Hole).

I've already inserted one symbol on a hole so you can see how it's reacting.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 8 of 13

Just an update on this issue.

I've created a few more "holes" in this part, using both the Hole command and by extrude/subtract a diameter on different faces of this part and I still get the offset symbol location (see attached).

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 9 of 13

More confusion now.

See attached.

I created a new part, created two series of holes, one with the hole command, the other using the extrude/subtract command. Notice the results I'm getting with the symbol locations when the center of the hole is selected as the insert point of the symbol.

Is anyone else seeing this issue on 2012? We didn't have this happening on 2011.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 10 of 13

Ok, this is really weird, and I would even venture to call it a bug (it certainly isn't desired behavior).

I checked out my theory mentioned above (about the edge not being quite circular), but this didn't seem to be the case.  Each hole in the file you provided was a nice circle.

I did figure something out.  If the hole to which you attach the symbol is larger than the symbol geometry, then the symbol snaps to the center.  If the hole is smaller than the symbol, then it snaps to the edge.*

So in order to get your symbols to snap to the centers, scale up your view until the holes are larger than the symbol, attach the symbol, and then scale your views back down to the scale you want.  The symbols stay snapped to the center if you do this.

HUGE pain in the assembly, but at least it will get you going.

* The attached drawing shows the symbols correctly snapped, but I only had to scale up the view until the part holes were the same size or larger than the circle of the symbol (scale of 0.8 or so).  It didn't need to be bigger than the orthogonal lines, for whatever reason.

Message 11 of 13

C,

Yes, I was just about to post the hole size vs the symbol size issue (see attached....same holes, just changed the diameter from .25 to .125").

Sure seems like a bug for sure.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 12 of 13

Bug report has been submitted.

Scaling views up and down just to insert this (or any other affected) symbol is an unacceptable workflow as one can guess.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 13 of 13

I have had the same problem for quite sometime now, and I have found a work-around that is a little easier to swallow.  The snapping problemseems to only occur if you try to snap to the center upon insertion.  If you insert the symbol into empty space first, then move it using the green grip, it will snap to the center, no problem, one small extra step.  At least it works in Inventor 2011.

Hopefully this bug gets resolved!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report