Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketched Geometry in Drawing Views

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Cadmanto
378 Views, 6 Replies

Sketched Geometry in Drawing Views

Why is it that when I create a dimension across geometry the dimension shows true, yet if I create

sketched geometry in the drawing view it does not?

What I need to do is create an arc of swing for a door.  So I create a sketched arc and then want to dimension the

arc radius of the door, yet the dimension shows not true.  How do I make it true?  And why can't I snap to

model geometry in the drawing view?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mflayler2
in reply to: Cadmanto

First, Sketch on the view, not the paper (first select the view and then select New Sketch).

Then you can use Project Geometry on your view to get references for drawing in that view.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: mflayler2

Mark,

Being relatively new to Inventor I am sure I am missing something, but when I RC

on the detail view creating a sketch is not an option on the flyout command list.

If I RC on the view in the view list to the left on the screen there is not an option for a new sketch there as well.

I will also add, I noticed if I create a sketch in the detail view through the sketch tool in the annotate ribbon

after the sketch is created I can no longer select it.  But if I follow these same steps in the mother view I can select it.

Can you explain this?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 7
mflayler2

Well, the sketch will be nested under your view.  You can RMB there to edit it.  You are right that there is no Create Sketch when you RMB on the view to begin with.

Also as a side note, make sure you attach your detail view to your geometry so if it updates it doesnt lose your sketched work or any dimensions placed on it.  To attach your detail bubble to the Parent View, select the detail boundry in the parent view and then right click on the center dot.  Choose attach and then select a geometric point on the view.  This will prevent it from moving from that spot regardless of how the model updates in size (such as length)

2-23-2012 10-03-31 AM.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: mflayler2

Thank Mark.

I got that to work.

Now how do I get the R1.80 dimension to show the true value?  Meaning it should be about R17.5

SKETCH.JPG

You can see the Ø12.00 is a true dimension but the R1.80 dimensioning a sketch isn't for what ever reason.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 7
jtylerbc

Are you sure that you had the view selected when you started the sketch?  Normally when the sketch is associated to a view, the scale matches up between the drawing and sketch, and you'd get the true dimension.

What you're seeing looks more like the "paper space" dimension you would see if the sketch isn't associated to a view.

Message 7 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: jtylerbc

I must not have because I tried it again and it showed the correct dimension

value in the sketch mode.  Figured it out.  DIdn't realize that you have to import them.

Bizzare that there are so many steps to accomplish something that is pretty simple.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report