Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch update with derived part

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Carl_mgfx
357 Views, 2 Replies

Sketch update with derived part

Hi All

This may be as designed or I have never noticed this before but a customer came to me today with this example and issue.

• He takes PartA.ipt file with a few sketches in it and derives it into PartB.ipt
  • Converts PartB.ipt to a sheet metal part and creates faces using the sketches
  • If the sketch is updated in PartA the face in PartB updates
  • If he offsets a profile in PartA and converts the origional profile to a construction line he sees the new offset in PartB but the origional profile is still a solid line

I have attached 2 parts to this post that I created to simulate the issue and I get the same result.

Is Inventor designed to exibit this behavour or is this a bug? 

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
salariua
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Carl,

That's definetlly a bug. When you open part B and you click on Edit Deriverd Part all the sketches appear correctly. but as soon as you click OK they revert back. Maybe Inventor is just copying the sketch entity and the format comes from the current active sketch (not original).

I would file this as a bug or post an ideastation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/idb-p/v1232

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
blair
in reply to: salariua

I think part of the problem is in the changing of the profile by changing the lines to construction. Inventor isn't smart enough to deselect the original profile, it only will change the shape/size of the original profile.

Not really sure if you could call it a bug/issue. If you were working in a single part and changed the exterior lines to construction from solid what would happen, would you get an extrusion of the smaller interior shape or would it thow up an error.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report