Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
Carl_mgfx
Message 1 of 3 (139 Views)

Sketch update with derived part

139 Views, 2 Replies
05-21-2014 04:24 AM

Hi All

This may be as designed or I have never noticed this before but a customer came to me today with this example and issue.

• He takes PartA.ipt file with a few sketches in it and derives it into PartB.ipt
  • Converts PartB.ipt to a sheet metal part and creates faces using the sketches
  • If the sketch is updated in PartA the face in PartB updates
  • If he offsets a profile in PartA and converts the origional profile to a construction line he sees the new offset in PartB but the origional profile is still a solid line

I have attached 2 parts to this post that I created to simulate the issue and I get the same result.

Is Inventor designed to exibit this behavour or is this a bug? 

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Gigabyte Q1542, Win 7 Pro 64Bit, i5 - 3230M, 8 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics with Nvidia GeForce 640M / 2GB and Optimus
Distinguished Mentor
salariua
Message 2 of 3 (48 Views)

Re: Sketch update with derived part

09-28-2014 05:02 AM in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Carl,

That's definetlly a bug. When you open part B and you click on Edit Deriverd Part all the sketches appear correctly. but as soon as you click OK they revert back. Maybe Inventor is just copying the sketch entity and the format comes from the current active sketch (not original).

I would file this as a bug or post an ideastation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/idb-p/v1232

-----------
Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
-----------
2015 PDSU Win7 x64 Dell Z620 Xeon 3.7GHz 32GB Nvidia Quadro K5000
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 3 of 3 (42 Views)

Re: Sketch update with derived part

09-28-2014 08:16 AM in reply to: salariua

I think part of the problem is in the changing of the profile by changing the lines to construction. Inventor isn't smart enough to deselect the original profile, it only will change the shape/size of the original profile.

Not really sure if you could call it a bug/issue. If you were working in a single part and changed the exterior lines to construction from solid what would happen, would you get an extrusion of the smaller interior shape or would it thow up an error.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 344.75
SpacePilot Pro 10.2.0 / 17.2.0.11011 / 4.17
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.