Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketch snap to datums?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
JimSteinmeyer
544 Views, 3 Replies

sketch snap to datums?

I have a particularly bad habiit of wanting to dimension my parts off the datum planes. I even like to center most of my parts off the datums for placing them in assemblies. However to do this every time I start a sketch I have to show the datums and them Project Geometry after selecting the datums in the sketch. Is there a selection in the options to make the datums ALWAYS projected? Having to set them for EVERY sketch has become tedious. I have the settings set as follows. I am using 2012.

snap to datum.JPG

Thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

I have a particularly bad habiit of wanting to dimension my parts off the datum planes. ....

That is not a bad habit - that is how you should be working - but the only datum you need is the origin center point and Inventor will autoproject that for you.
I would not have my application options set like you have.
Search Google for jd mather skillsusa inventor document to see the settings I use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I have seen how you set your auto projection settings and have set them that way but I really would like the planes.. Maybe because I am constraining wrong, but I often constrain a line to a datum plane or attempt to set it at an angle off the plane. These don't seem to work well for me with just the datum point.

Maybe I just need to become more familiar with constraining differently.

Thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 4 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

For many years I always projected the applicable origin (Inventor term is "origin", not "datum") axes to at least my first sketch, and often to suceeding sketches, too, usually making them construction lines.  But in recent years I have gradually given up doing that automatically.  I found that the automatic horizontal/vertical constraints on the first line or ellipse in a sketch were sufficient, and it reduces clutter and time spent.  And, if you want to rotate your sketch for some reason, there's only one constraint to delete and re-apply instead of many.

There are still a few sketches where an origin axis is useful.  One of those would be when I need to locate features angularly on a round part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report