Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Question

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dbrblg
1091 Views, 16 Replies

Sketch Question

Hi,

I have a sheet metal part with an unconsumed sketch (I believe thats what it's called!!).  How do I get the sketch to show in a drawing?

I have tried right clicking on the view and selecting Get Model Sketches from within the drawing environment but it doesn't work.  I also note that none of the unconsumed sketches from within the part actually show in the tree in the drawing environment; only protrusions, fillets etc show.

I am using Inventor 2010.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
japike
in reply to: dbrblg

Right click on the part in the drawing browser and select "Get Model Sketches".  Then right click on the sketch in the drawing browser and select "Include".

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 17
dbrblg

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for your reply.  

I can select the Get Model Sketches option but there are no sketches showing in the tree for me to include!!

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
japike

Can you attached your files?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 5 of 17
dbrblg
in reply to: japike

Here we are...

Message 6 of 17
SBix26

I don't know what's going on, but if I place the same view by defining a custom orientation looking straight at that top surface, I can then include the two unconsumed sketches.  But that top surface is parallel to the XZ plane, so an ordinary top view should produce the same result...

Message 7 of 17
japike

Strange!!

Here's what I've tried:

I opened your files and the sketches were not visible in the drawing browser.

I made views of your part in a new drawing using my template.  The sketches would not show up in the drawing.

I made a new part and inserted it into my drawing.  The sketches showed up in the drawing.  So, here I had both my part and your part in the same drawing.  Sketches worked on mine but not on yours.

I inserted views of my part into your drawing and the sketches showed up in the drawing.  Again, the sketches worked on views of my part, but not on views of your part.

So, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with your part.  Can you make a very simple new part with a sketch in it and see if that will show up in a drawing?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 8 of 17
japike
in reply to: SBix26

Really!!!!!

I can't get the sketches to show up that way.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 9 of 17
SBix26

I placed a new base view, clicked on the "Change View Orientation Button", then used the View Face tool and selected the surface where the sketches are.  That view will include sketches, but placing a top view will not!

Message 10 of 17
japike

AHA!

When I use the View Face tool, it works here as well.  Nice one Sam.

Very strange problem.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 11 of 17
Ktelang

you can xopy the sketches to flatten view.

I dont know whether that works for you

but see the modified attached files for your reference

I got your 2 sketches to show up on flattened view

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Config :: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz, 16.0 GB, 64bit win7
Inventor 2013 and Vault Basic 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 17
SBix26

More info about the strangeness of this part: the surface with the unconsumed sketches measures 90.000000016 deg from the YZ plane.  Yet it is created as a contour flange from a sketch with the line constrained horizontal, so I am unable to account for this exceedingly small "error".  Only that particular measurement shows any deviation from the expected orthogonal setup, as far as I can tell.  But apparently that's enough for Inventor to consider that surface as not normal to the view.

Message 13 of 17
dbrblg
in reply to: Ktelang

Hello all,

Firstly thanks for all your help.

I tried creating a simple part with a sketch, as suggested by Jeff.  This shows sketches in the drawing, so that works Smiley Very Happy

I also tried Sams suggestion using a custom orientation on the top face which also works Smiley Very Happy

So it does tend to point towards the 160 nano degree error on the angle???  Although I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to see the sketch, just that it would look slightly on the wonk (if you could even notice such an angle!!)

How did you manage to find that out?  I cannot even find a precision that accurate.

Message 14 of 17
SBix26

In the measure tool (measure angle, actually), set the precision to All Decimals.

Message 15 of 17
dbrblg
in reply to: Ktelang

Oh, thats interesting.

I looked there and set the precision to All Decimals but I could only get it to report as 90 Deg - there were no decimal places Smiley Surprised

I wonder what determines the resolution; hardware perhaps? 

Message 16 of 17
SBix26

The only angle measurements that showed that error are the horizontal surfaces to the YZ plane.  No others that I could find showed anything other than 0, 90, etc.  You would expect that if there was a "nano-degree" difference between horizontal and YZ, and 0 between vertical and YZ, that between horizontal and vertical you would also find that small difference, but not in this case.

If anyone from Autodesk is paying attention to this thread, we would greatly appreciate some insight into what is going on with this file.

Message 17 of 17
Hochenauer

Thanks for reporting this issue, we have identified the cause and development is working on it. I logged DID 1387255.

Sam B, good job on your angle analysis Smiley Wink.

Gerald

Gerald Hochenauer(gerald.hochenauer@autodesk.com)
Inventor Principal Software Engineer

Manufacturing Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums