Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch on Curved Surface and Curved Extrusion

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Buhtwhai
3188 Views, 7 Replies

Sketch on Curved Surface and Curved Extrusion

Hello guys.

I'm creating a 3d model of a dragster, but don't want to go into too much detail on that.

Basically, the wheel is going to be inside of the body, and I want to create a pocket on the inside of the body (while leaving material on the outside), and having the top curved, almost like a biscuit cutter would create.

The bottom of the dragster is curved as well, and I cannot seem to figure out how to create a sketch on the curved surface. (screenshot; http://puu.sh/apftp/64e4c3bf0d.png )

How would I go about doing this? I'm using Inventor Pro 2014 Student Build.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Buhtwhai

Have you gone through the Tutorials?

Attach your *.ipt file here.

2D sketches are planar - Offset the appropriate Origin Plane.

Can your instructor show you how to create an offset Workplane?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Buhtwhai
in reply to: JDMather

We are out on vacation, and my instuctor/advisor claims that he doesn't even know how to use inventor nearly as well as I do. If he ever needs help he usually asks me. So that's a no-go. (We have multiple tech teachers, the one who was certified isn't very student-oriented and she has also retired.)

I have no idea how to do an offset-workplane. 

Here's the *.ipt

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

While you are waiting for a solution - the iProperties of your file indicate you have not installed Service Pack2 for Inventor 2014.  I recommend that you do that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Is something like this what you are after?  (see attached)

I recommed that you (and your instructor) read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

use symmetry, use symmetry, use symmetry about the origin planes.

Do you know how to edit existing sketches? (do you know how to dimension sketches - attention to details?)

Do you know how to edit features?

It is your job to figure out what I did and how I did it (you can edit each sketch and feature to figure it out).

Are are a few things you might want to change (except of course, the wonderful colors).

To create an offset workplane - select the Workplane tool and an existing workplane and enter offset distance.

To create a workplane at the end of a line (or any curve) click the endpoint and the curve.

To create a workplane tangent to a cylinder, select the cylinder and a reference plane.

Hollar back if you can't figure out how to change the colors (or any other features).

Message 6 of 8
Buhtwhai

Those colors were pretty amazing J.D.

But on the serious note;

I figured out how to create an offset plane and do the extrusion for the pockets, but now I have another question.

If I have a circle from another extrusion/sketch, and I am creating the new sketch for the extrusion and I want the extrusion to be centered with the original circle, how would I accomplish that?

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

Use the Project Geometry tool.

Right click on the previous sketch and turn on the Visibility.

When editing your new sketch simply click Project Geometry and select the geometry you want to project into your new sketch.

Message 8 of 8
Buhtwhai

Mucho gracias Mr. Mather!

Was able to finish it up, complete with the slots.

Thanks, 

Joel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report