Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketch not showing

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
thepalepinoy
1567 Views, 17 Replies

sketch not showing

installed 2015 for the nth time thinking that the install neglected to install properly. as i try to open a new project the plane displays with no outlines. when starting a new sketch, the sketch will not display on the screen. there is infact the existence of the sketch, i  am able to dimention it  but that too is not displayed. the problem also extends to being able to display the grid.  i've installed the program on a different computer with almost the same config and build to get me by and it has no problems. i still need this resolved on my PC. please help!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: thepalepinoy

Sounds like a graphics card problem (you have not offered any system specs).

Go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and set to Software Graphics.

Does it work now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 18
blair
in reply to: JDMather

Looks like the Origin Point is projected in the middle of your sketch/screen. You might have the grid options turned off, if this is what you are accustom to seeing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 18
thepalepinoy
in reply to: blair

I've turned on the grid at this point and displays nothing other than the origin. An example of the problem is if I try to make a circle snapping the center to the origin I should see a green lined circle expand and contract as I move the mouse cursor across the screen, I don't even see that. There is no visual indication that I'm actually sketching anything on the plane

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
Message 5 of 18
JDMather

Sounds like a graphics card problem (you still have not offered any system specs).

Does it work now?

(...and since the projected origin is visible, I have to ask, are you looking perpendicular to the current sketch plane?  What happens if you rotate the view a bit?)

What happens if you open one of the Tutorial files and Edit Sketch1?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 18
blair

You are looking at the X-Z plane, is your sketch on that plane or is it on the X-Y plane. If it's on the X-Y plane you won't see anything. Try clicking on the Home icon (looks like a house) and see if your sketch appears.

Posting the system spec's as JD as requested a couple of times helps us alot.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 18
thepalepinoy

Thanks for the input unfortunately that isn't the case... I should point out and say that I'm more than familiar with the program and am pretty well versed in it. Although I'm still learning I can manage to model air foils, wind turbine blades from excel data sheets and put dimensional relations on features.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
Message 8 of 18
JDMather

Sounds like a graphics card problem (you still have not offered any system specs).

Q1.  What are your system specifications.

Q2. Does it work now?

Q3. What happens if you open one of the Tutorial files and Edit Sketch1?

Message 9 of 18
bPreves

this sounds similar to the issues I am facing...

ARGH

Message 10 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: bPreves

@bPreves wrote:

this sounds similar to the issues I am facing...

ARGH

And yet you still don't answer the 3 questions?

Message 11 of 18
bPreves

Lol I already answered them to you in another forum.

I tried the graphics checkmark thing. It worked for a day and then stopped working.

my graphics card is a NVIDIA FX 2000 and I am almost positive it is up to date. 

Message 12 of 18
blair

Why would be checking other Threads to see if you answered a question in this thread.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 18
bPreves

I was speaking directly to JD... was mostly kidding though... anywayzzz 

Message 14 of 18
JDMather

I think Blair accidentally dropped a word in his response, "Why would anyone be checking..."

But you see what happens when you cross post and you didn't even state what you had tried in this thread in you initial post....

My frustration level rose from such obvious lack of information relevant to solving the problem -  and now the discussion has completely diverged from actually solving your problem... ...good luck getting the discussion back on track.

Message 15 of 18
bPreves

Cat Tongue

Message 16 of 18
blair

Thanks JD for adding the dropped word, trying to do 15 things at once. Most of us have our settings to receive e-mails on Threads we have responded to so we can stay current on the Post.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 18
blair

If you are using a really high display resolution, this might be causing the problem. Other users have had issues with the on-screen dialogue boxes. They changed the display resolution for the monitor, ran Inventor, closed Inventor and reset the screen solution back to their original setting.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is it possible you are not looking at the sketch plane you are working on? Could you check Tools -> Application Options -> Sketch -> "Look at sketch plane on skech creation and edit"? Is it checked or not checked?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report