Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch in Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dcmorgan
601 Views, 5 Replies

Sketch in Assembly

Hello All,

I created an assembly of parts and then converted my assembly to a weldment. I then realized that I need to create a sketch and make an edit to my assembly. The sketch command is greyed out however. I did some trouble shooting and realized that once I converted it, it no longer allows me to make edits. Is there anyway I can get around this? do I now have to re-create the entire assembly to make this edit at the assembly level? If so this would really suck since it is a rather large assembly. I see saving as a new IAM doesn't work as well.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: dcmorgan

What happens if you enter the prep or machining environment within the weldment?

You should be able to sketch to  cut.

Somewhere there is a trick to convert a weldment back but I forget exactly what the trick is.

What if you place this assembly as a sub assembly in a new assembly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

I'd be interested in that trick, JD, if you remember it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 6
dcmorgan

JD,

Yes, I just went into the machining environment within my weld and was able to make the correct edits that I needed. Thanks for your response.

On another note, I know that you are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Inventor, you've helped me with some of my other issues I've had so maybe you can answet this. I noticed that for some reason or another you cannot create 3d sketches or use the coil command in assembly's. Do you have any idea why?

I am always creating assemblies based on how we manufacture our parts. We make a lot of bridge rings that screw on to barrels for meat grinding. What we normally do is single point the threads on the rings after all of the components have been welded into place.(I'm sure you can understand why). A major problem arises when I am not able to coil or sweep the threads onto my ring within the assembly environment. I've worked around this by deriving my assembly and then adding it, but I loose my BOM which is important. In the end I have too many files just to convey something as simple as threads.

Do you know of way to work around such a problem??

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: dcmorgan

@dcmorgan wrote:

A major problem arises when I am not able to coil or sweep the threads onto my ring within the assembly environment.   Do you know of way to work around such a problem??

This has been a wish list item going way back.   We need more functionality in weldments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
dcmorgan

Ok, Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report