Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch in a drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
383 Views, 6 Replies

Sketch in a drawing

ok, I am wanting to go into a sheet metal flat pattern drawing, I want to add a point or cross hair on the drawing and then dimension from edge of part to the point or cross hair. how can I do something like this inside the drawing only but also use the geometry in the drawing to dimension it to?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Click inside the view boundary.

Hit S on the keyboard.

Project Geometry if needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you, that worked but when I close he sketch I can no longer see the sketch and dimension I put in???

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Instead of using a sketch point do a couple of lines and trim with a circle (you can set the circle to Sketch Only).

or

add the sketch at the part level and then Retrieve in the drawing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
karthur1

You will have to sketch a cross (to represent the point) using lines. Then, dimension from the edge of your part to the sketch lines. If you placed a point in your sketch, it will disappear when you exit the sketch.

When you exit the sketch, the dimensions will be hidden, but you should be able to still see the sketch lines.  Now use the dimension tool to place your dimensions to the sketch lines. You are sort-of doing it twice.

You could use "Retrieve Dimensions" in the context menu and bring the sketch dims forward if you wanted to do that.

Kirk

Message 6 of 7
mrattray

I normally do any special flat pattern edits in the model. This way it's easy to export for CNC programming (which is normally why I need it there). It can then be retrieved into the drawing if I need to show it.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: mrattray

OR
Create sketch as JD describes, close sketch and use retrieve dimension to show the sketch dim

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report