Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch constrains in the frame generator

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Barvas11
924 Views, 16 Replies

Sketch constrains in the frame generator

Hi Guys,

I get these pink points in my sketch for the frame. How do I get rid of them? 

Right click and delete doesn't work. I get all sorts of errors because of these. 

constrain failure.JPG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
trumpy81
in reply to: Barvas11

The pink dots usually mean that there is missing geometry, either a face or an axis misplaced somewhere. It's often difficult to know where they originated from and why the associated geometry is no longer valid.

I see these a lot when modifying older parts.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 17
JDMather

@Barvas11 wrote:

How do I get rid of them? 

Attach skeleton file here.

RIght click and Break Link.

Right click and Delete.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
Barvas11

Hi Thanks for your response;

I cannot find the comand "brake the link"

Message 5 of 17
JDMather

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
Barvas11

Message 7 of 17
trumpy81

The pink dots appear in sketch 3, the lines in this sketch were projected from sketch 1. A change in sketch 1 can produce these dots as any change will break the relationship between these points (pink dots) and the original geometry from which they were derived.

You may not have made any changes, in which case, the original geometry is at fault (IE: missing constraints, sometimes faces and axis depending on where the geometry came from).

To remove the dots, remove the lines over and around the dots. Then recreate the lines that you removed.

Projecting lines like these often produce problems and in 2013, the problem seems to be a little worse than previous versions.

Why the relationships between these points and the geometry around it breaks is anybody's guess. I really don't see any reason why making small changes to the original geometry could or would break the relationships in this way. They are obviously not adaptive and I think Autodesk need to look at this problem. It's always been a bit of a pain, but it seems to be getting worse.

It is best to fix these types of problems as soon as you spot them, if you don't it might be quite some time before you see them again and then it will be much harder to fix as you would have done a lot more work to your model.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 8 of 17
mrattray
in reply to: trumpy81

You can delete the projected geometry if you use the show constraints tool and delete all the constraints (make sure to get the projection constraints) from the pink geometry first.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 17
JDMather

Well, this is what I was referring to - but this file acts different than what I expected.

Break Link.png

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

I tried your file in 2013 (I had it up) and I get the break link option, but it doesn't do anything. It also shows no constraints on the geometry, but I can't delete it. Wierdness.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 17
Barvas11
in reply to: mrattray

I have tried that as well guys. It doesn't work. It's maybe another Autodesk bug?

Message 12 of 17
trumpy81

Like I said, you have to delete the lines. The pink dots are in some cases, the endpoints of those lines. In other cases they are simply points, but they were a part of the original geometry that was projected. It's not uncommon for there to be two or more lines, one on top of the other, so you have to delete the same line two or more times before its gone.

Regards
Andy M
Message 13 of 17
Barvas11

I have tried that as well. Those bloody pink dots are undeletable.

Message 14 of 17
trumpy81

@Barvas11 wrote:

I have tried that as well. Those bloody pink dots are undeletable.

I put together a quick video showing how to delete the dots. I hope it helps.

You will find it on my website here;

http://trumpy.net/Pink%20Dots/Pink%20Dots.html

Regards
Andy M
Message 15 of 17
trumpy81
in reply to: trumpy81

Something else that I forgot to mention. In your part file I noticed a lot of projected and adaptive sketches. Try to avoid those as much as possible, unless you happen to like hunting pink dots.

Adaptive sketches can and will bite you when you least expect it. A better option is to copy the original sketch completely and paste it into a new sketch. You should have the projected center point (XYZ zero) in all your sketches, and you can use that point to locate all of your geometry.

If you don't have the point showing in your sketches, you can turn it on in Options/Sketch/Auto project part origin on sketch create.

Happy Inventing 🙂

Regards
Andy M
Message 16 of 17
Barvas11

Thanks Trumpy81! You are a star 🙂

Message 17 of 17
trumpy81

No problem Barvas11. If you have any other problems just holler!

Who knows, I may even have an answer for you ... lol

Cheers.

Regards
Andy M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report