Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skeleton sketch / Dimension / iPart

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
407 Views, 2 Replies

Skeleton sketch / Dimension / iPart

First let me explain what you see here. I am trying to create an iPart that will allow me to create several variations that include work features that I can then insert each into an assembly. I want to constrain other parts to these work features. This will go to a Tank assembly. I will constrain pipe and flanges to the work features.

Obviously the two lines represent my angle for the pipe for the orientation. The angle can be anywhere from 0° - 360°.

The 60" measurement is the oustide radius of the tank cylinders (shell). The 0.375" dimension is the thickness of the tank cylinders (shell).

The 42" measurement is the distance from the centerline that the pipe (nozzle) will come through the shell. The 6" and 1" measurements are the distance the pipe must penatrate the cylinder, outside and inside. The 4.625" is the diameter of the pipe.

Now my question is how can I from the design table control whether the 42" dimension goes above or below the centerline?

Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Skeleton Test.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
salariua
in reply to: Anonymous

I am in the water industry myself and this is how I’ve done my tanks.

I created an ifeature for flanges, one for nozzle, vents, manhole, overflow, legs, lifting trunions, etc.

On the flange template I created an angle plane between the vertical axis and one of the vertical planes. My flange sketch is on that plane and it’s rotation is controlled by the plane angle position.

I created my flange geometry and rotate it around 45 deg. Dimensioned the point at the end of the flange with origin as horizontal dimension and as vertical dimension. Added an angle dimension between the flange center line and tank center line to control the position of flange , side flange, top flange. Need to add the pipe extrusion as "To Next" so that it moulds on whatever shape tank you have.

I think I would be better making a video, but I have attached the model so you can play with and some images bellow.

My tank is in an Alpha development state an I want to see how others are doing this, I know that I can do this with iAssemblyes but each has it's benefits and limitations.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

This looks great. I appreciate the help. I will take a look at your parts and see if I can get a better idea of how to handle my layout as well. I had considered using the planes. I need to revisit it I think.

Thank you again, If you do make a video and say publish it to youtube I would love for you to let me know so I could check it out. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report