Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 11 of 23 (615 Views)

Re: Skeleton modelling - 3DSketch

04-11-2011 04:54 AM in reply to: FProcp

FProcp wrote:
Can you currently do that ???

Yes. But not exactly as you describe.  I think you might be doing too much work.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Contributor
FProcp
Message 12 of 23 (608 Views)

04-11-2011 05:18 AM in reply to: JDMather
Would you please explain how you do it? I really would love to know. I will be very thankful if you tell me :-)
Franc
inventor :-)
FProcp
Message 13 of 23 (564 Views)

04-18-2011 09:46 PM in reply to: FProcp

FProcp wrote:
It would be good if you could create a 3D point in space that can be driven (moved around) by 2D sketches. .. First create a Front View 2D sketch and a Plan View 2D sketch. Then place 3D points in space that are driven by those 2D sketches. Then draw 3D lines between the 3D points. .. Then when you adjust the 2D sketches the 3D points would move and the 3D Lines would adjust. Can you currently do that ???
I do not believe the above can be done. I've tried everything possible but CAN NOT DO IT. Does anybody know of a way????
Franc
Employee
udayag
Message 14 of 23 (533 Views)

04-19-2011 08:20 AM in reply to: FProcp

If you have a curve on a "front-view" 2d sketch and a point on a "plan-view" 2d sketch, you can create a 3d point that is driven by these 2d sketch entities (by intersecting the surface extrusion of the curve and a work axis through the point, as you probably know).

But, I guess, you want to independently control 2d sketch points in the 2 sketches. AFAIK, in a general sense this is not posible, because 2d sketches are ordered. Let's say that the top-view corresponds to the XY plane and the front-view coresponds to the XZ plane, and that the top-view sketch is above the front-view sketch in the browser. In this case the x- and y- coordinates of the 3d point would be controlled by the top view and the z- coordinate would be controlled by the front-view. The important thing to recognize is that one-cannot independently control the x- coordinate in the front-view. This is a simple illustration of the connection (or coupling) between the two sketches that make it impossible to control them independently since we cannot have an unordered (or variational) relationship between the sketches.

But in practice, in most situations, there are ways to achieve the degree of control you want. If you could describe your problem in greater detail, perhaps someone can help.

If you want to use points as the driving entities, you could use grounded 3d work points. Then in "front-view" you could use "Move/Rotate" tool to move the point in the XZ plane, and in "top-view" move the point in the XY plane.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
FProcp
Message 15 of 23 (507 Views)

04-19-2011 02:54 PM in reply to: udayag
I understand what your saying about having two sketches that would try to control the x-coordinate, it's not possible. I think Grounded 3D points would be the way. I thnk it would be good if you had something like a ground 3D point that's anchored to a specific point on a 2Dsketch and when that point on the 2Dsketch moves, the grounded 3D point moves with it. Is there any way of doing that now ????
Franc
FProcp
Message 16 of 23 (482 Views)

04-20-2011 02:38 AM in reply to: udayag
What command do you use to create a 3D point at the intersection of surface extrusion and work axis ?????? ... I am trying this now :-(
Franc
Employee
udayag
Message 17 of 23 (471 Views)

04-20-2011 07:02 AM in reply to: JDMather

The Workpoint command button has a "pulldown". One of the choices is "Intersection of Plane/Surface and Line".

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
FProcp
Message 18 of 23 (464 Views)

04-20-2011 08:12 AM in reply to: udayag
Thankyou very much. I did not know that :-)
Franc
Employee
udayag
Message 19 of 23 (444 Views)

04-20-2011 03:39 PM in reply to: FProcp

Glad to help...

Another possibility (possibly easier) is to use the "Project to Surface" command in 3d sketch.

- pick the surface for "Faces"

- pick the sketch point for "Curves" (including multiple sketch points on the same 2d sketch)

- use the default "project along vector" and the default vector direction

This should create an associative 3d sketch point. 

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Contributor
InventorPortugal
Message 20 of 23 (429 Views)

04-21-2011 01:37 AM in reply to: JDMather

What do you mean when you say you can't derive a 3d Sketch?

PrtScr capture.jpg

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 Ultimate
Autodesk Developer Network
http://www.inventorportugal.blogspot.com
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.