Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skeleton modelling - 3DSketch

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
einaro
1015 Views, 22 Replies

Skeleton modelling - 3DSketch

I am doing a skeleton model of a pipe.
Can I usa a 3d sketch in a dereived part?
The 3d sketch is not visible/selectable in the derived part. Any suggestions ? (without IV Pro)
I want to use the 3d sketch to model all the individual parts, bends and pipes.

Regs. Einar Ovrelid
www.subsea7.com
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: einaro

The possibility to derive a 3D Sketch is on my
wish-list...

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
am doing a skeleton model of a pipe.
Can I usa a 3d sketch in a dereived
part?
The 3d sketch is not visible/selectable in the derived part. Any
suggestions ? (without IV Pro)
I want to use the 3d sketch to model all
the individual parts, bends and pipes.

Regs. Einar Ovrelid
www.subsea7.com

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

einaro

einaro wrote:
> I am doing a skeleton model of a pipe.
> Can I usa a 3d sketch in a dereived part?

No

> The 3d sketch is not visible/selectable in the derived part. Any
> suggestions ? (without IV Pro)

Just create a series of 2d sketches in 3d space. Whack on some 3d
sketch points (they derive thru fine).
Derive in the sketches and points then simply create a 3d sketch going
from dot to dot (like in kindergarten).
Sweep along the 3d sketch and you are done.

You do not need professional to create fully adaptive pipe layouts.

Regards,
Kent Mathews
Message 4 of 23
einaro

Tanx for the tip. Deriving the workpoints is a good idea.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

That should do the trick for you, but if you ever need to reference a 3D curve
in a derived part you can probably sweep an open surface (a short line) around
your path, pull the surface into the derived part and use the edge as a sweep
path.

=====================

"einaro" wrote in message
news:f194c96.2@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Tanx for the tip. Deriving the workpoints is a good idea.
>
Message 6 of 23
einaro

I find your method very handy for adding extra work planes. After making the sweep along the 3d sketch, I use the split tool to cut away the geometry that i do not need. Nice !
Message 7 of 23
FProcp

I think Inventor 3Dsketch is difficult and cumbersome to use. 2Dsketch is very powerful, you can fully edit anything. 3Dsketch should be as powerful and editable as 2Dsketch. Then it would be good.
Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 8 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: FProcp

Works fine here.
I always use 2D sketches to create and control my 3D sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 23
FProcp
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I do that too. But I think a bunch of complex pipe routes on a mining related processing plant is Tooo Hard with 3Dsketch or with lots of 2Dsketches.
Franco
Message 10 of 23
FProcp

It would be good if you could create a 3D point in space that can be driven (moved around) by 2D sketches. Then create a Front View 2D sketch and a Plan View 2D sketch. Then place 3D points in space that are driven by those 2D sketches. Then draw 3D lines between those 3D points. Then when you adjust the 2D sketches the 3D points would move and the 3D Lines would adjust. Can you currently do that ???
Franco
Message 11 of 23
JDMather

@FProcp wrote:
Can you currently do that ???

Yes. But not exactly as you describe.  I think you might be doing too much work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
FProcp

Would you please explain how you do it? I really would love to know. I will be very thankful if you tell me 🙂
Franco
Message 13 of 23
FProcp

@FProcp wrote:
It would be good if you could create a 3D point in space that can be driven (moved around) by 2D sketches. .. First create a Front View 2D sketch and a Plan View 2D sketch. Then place 3D points in space that are driven by those 2D sketches. Then draw 3D lines between the 3D points. .. Then when you adjust the 2D sketches the 3D points would move and the 3D Lines would adjust. Can you currently do that ???
I do not believe the above can be done. I've tried everything possible but CAN NOT DO IT. Does anybody know of a way????
Franco
Message 14 of 23
udayag

If you have a curve on a "front-view" 2d sketch and a point on a "plan-view" 2d sketch, you can create a 3d point that is driven by these 2d sketch entities (by intersecting the surface extrusion of the curve and a work axis through the point, as you probably know).

But, I guess, you want to independently control 2d sketch points in the 2 sketches. AFAIK, in a general sense this is not posible, because 2d sketches are ordered. Let's say that the top-view corresponds to the XY plane and the front-view coresponds to the XZ plane, and that the top-view sketch is above the front-view sketch in the browser. In this case the x- and y- coordinates of the 3d point would be controlled by the top view and the z- coordinate would be controlled by the front-view. The important thing to recognize is that one-cannot independently control the x- coordinate in the front-view. This is a simple illustration of the connection (or coupling) between the two sketches that make it impossible to control them independently since we cannot have an unordered (or variational) relationship between the sketches.

But in practice, in most situations, there are ways to achieve the degree of control you want. If you could describe your problem in greater detail, perhaps someone can help.

If you want to use points as the driving entities, you could use grounded 3d work points. Then in "front-view" you could use "Move/Rotate" tool to move the point in the XZ plane, and in "top-view" move the point in the XY plane.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 15 of 23
FProcp
in reply to: udayag

I understand what your saying about having two sketches that would try to control the x-coordinate, it's not possible. I think Grounded 3D points would be the way. I thnk it would be good if you had something like a ground 3D point that's anchored to a specific point on a 2Dsketch and when that point on the 2Dsketch moves, the grounded 3D point moves with it. Is there any way of doing that now ????
Franco
Message 16 of 23
FProcp

What command do you use to create a 3D point at the intersection of surface extrusion and work axis ?????? ... I am trying this now 😞
Franco
Message 17 of 23
udayag

The Workpoint command button has a "pulldown". One of the choices is "Intersection of Plane/Surface and Line".

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 18 of 23
FProcp

Thankyou very much. I did not know that 🙂
Franco
Message 19 of 23
udayag

Glad to help...

Another possibility (possibly easier) is to use the "Project to Surface" command in 3d sketch.

- pick the surface for "Faces"

- pick the sketch point for "Curves" (including multiple sketch points on the same 2d sketch)

- use the default "project along vector" and the default vector direction

This should create an associative 3d sketch point. 

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 20 of 23
InventorPortugal

What do you mean when you say you can't derive a 3d Sketch?

PrtScr capture.jpg

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 Ultimate
Autodesk Developer Network
http://www.inventorportugal.blogspot.com
Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report