Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skeletal Modeling Parameter Search Utility

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cadman777
204 Views, 3 Replies

Skeletal Modeling Parameter Search Utility

Can someone direct me to a program or utility for Inventor 2010 that can be used in a skeletal modeling scenario like this:

You can go into the base sketch and search a parameter's connections through the entire project.

This utility will show you every file the particular parameter occurs in, and where it is used in that file.

It will also allow you to open that file and edit that parameter.

Here is an example of the need for this function:

You create a tank based on a skeletal model that has all the sketches and parameters for the tank.
The take has the usual ends, shell, nozzles, base, legs, etc. It also has access platform and ladders/stairs, or whatever.

Part-way through the project you get a change order form the customer causing you to do some re-design.

In the process, the tank ID parameter is no longer used, so another parameter replaces the tank ID parameter.

But you don't know which project part and assembly files use this tank ID parameter, nor where they occur in each file.

You want to replace all instances of the original tank ID parameter w/thenew parameter in all those files, but you also want to see where each use occurs to determine if there's other edits that need be made to the child parts.

Who has done this, and what tool have you used to accomplish it?

Thanx

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
autocad1RY3QB
in reply to: cadman777

I have the same problem. I did parametric design, there I've put all parameters to one excel file.  It was many changes in design, some parts are not existing any more, so I would like to remove from spreed**** unused parameters and rename used so it will fit the new design structure. To do so without distroing parametrisizing I need to know the at least in which part/assembly some parameter is used is used. Inventor doesn't complains whan I remove any parameter in use from excel, it just replaces it with the latest numerical value and continues to work... until you actually changes the value in Excel. Than part is not resizing.

Some propposed solutions to this common problem like setting wrong walues in these parameters to see which part has changed sounds like a desperate way...

Such simple thing like search for parameter name through entire assembly down to the parts should be doable? I think many of us could it find very usefull. Thanks Inventor guys. 

Message 3 of 4

Hi! A savvy iLogic or VB user might be able to create a search rule to find the parameter. There is one trick you could consider using.

In the assembly, go to Manage -> iLogic Browser -> Add Rule -> in the rule dialog, go to the tree view -> expand each component -> right-click on the parameter node -> Capture current status -> Find -> look for the parameter within the rule. It should show which component contains the specific parameter.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanx!

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report