Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size Title Block using Border

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
xiaohanzhang
3013 Views, 11 Replies

Size Title Block using Border

Hi,  New here on the forum (and fairly new to Inventor).

Is there a way to access any data of any Border in a Drawing files when creating a sketch in the file?

I'm trying to make a Title Block that take up the whole length of the Border bounded page and 10 mm high, anchored on the bottom.

Currently I had the Default Border "changed" by Inserting it and changing the margins to fit to approximately my printer's printable area.  It seems at this stage when I created a new title block defn I'm basically given a blank sketch with the origin at the bottom left as my only "snap point".

I found one through subject suggestion about using iLogic to change the size, but that isn't exactly what I'm trying to do as that seems just a switch for different Title Blocks that's been made up.

I thought about just drawing the title block in with the border, but I don't think that's the right way to do it.

Is there any way to draw your Title block in this case beside manually figuring out how big the Border is and dimension with that raw number?

(Just curious as it would be just a simple subtraction, but if I changed the Border margin I would have to repeat the arithmetic...)

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: xiaohanzhang

Please post a screen capture of what your are doing and the enviroment you are working in.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
xiaohanzhang
in reply to: blair

Hi, Thanks for the response.

This is a screenshot of the scenario, with border already in place.

Just curious how come the border and the title block aren't seem to made to relate to each other in size...

I don't know what you mean by  environment I'm working in. I'm assuming it's what I'm using. These should be sufficient:

WinXP SP3

Inventor Pro 2013 STUDENT

Some Intel Integrated Graphic...

TitleBlock.JPG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 4 of 12
blair
in reply to: xiaohanzhang

Almost sounded like you were in the IPT-Sketch enviroment:

Those are the stock sizes and stock borders ANSI-Large and ANSI A, If you select a A or B format sheet, you may want a small title block, your choice. Nothing stopping you from creating your own title block as well and using it.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1814-Drawings1814/1815-Drawing...

Search the http://wikihelp.autodesk.com for "Title Block"

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
xiaohanzhang
in reply to: blair

Well that's my question here..I am trying to make a custom title block, and call me lazy or not  but I don't want to do the math for its size since it fills the whole length. I thought at least if I make a custom border I could access the border dimension or something. Right now as the image show it's just a blank page with no reference except the usual origin. Is this just it (without referencing iLogic and stuff, which is beyond my grasp at this time) or is there something I haven't discover that I can size the title block sketch with in regard to other "object" in the file?

I was kind of surprised the Project option is greyed out as I have been using it in ipt file.

Message 6 of 12

Were  you ever able to figure this out? Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it doesn't seem it was ever actually resolved. I will try and go a little bit more in depth with my description of the issue.

Backstory:

My company has had fully developed title blocks (AutoCAD) that have not really changed much in the last decade. Because our company and clients are very familiar with our title block, changing them for the sake of making things easier with Inventor is sadly not an option. You may ask, "Well why don't you just create an exact replica of your companies title block to use." That is the end-game, but it is sadly not that simple... This brings me to the problem.

Problem:

My company does work that often times runs into the use of non-standard sheet sizes (22"x80" as an example) on top of our 10 standard sheet sizes. Because of this, my company has adapted the title block to run along the entire right side of the sheet, TOP TO BOTTOM. And not only is it all along the right side of the drawing, but the top right corner is our company logo, client logo, engineering seal, ect.... The bottom right corner is where the sheet data is entered such as drafter name, engineers name, app'd by, qa/qc'd by, ect.... Along with the revisions section. This brings me to a potential resolution to this issue.

Probable Resolution #1:

Because I need the title block to fill the entire right side of the drawing from the upper border line to the lower border line, it would only make sense to use those lines in the creation of my title block. Unfortunately, because the title blocks can be used in conjunction with other borders that may follow different design criteria, you are not allowed to use the project geometry command to create the title block from the border lines. I then tried creating a simple equation that I could insert in the title block to control the height of it based on the sheet size, but it would not allow me to use that either. Is there a different way of doing this that I'm not presently aware of? While I am fairly comfortable with equation based design, and modeling in Inventor, I've had very minimal experience with Inventor Drawings.

Side Note:

I know I can go in and create a separate title block for each sheet size, but I would sure like to be able to have one that will automatically adjust based on sheet dimensions. Would I have to create the entire title block as a border? 

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Nathan Farringer

Message 7 of 12

Figured I would post a few pictures to further outline this issue. I want the same title block I use of my 22x34 sheets to work on my 30x48 sheets and so on.

22x34 on TBLK on 36x48 sheet.png22x34 TBLK.png

kelly.young has embedded your images for clarity.

Message 8 of 12
a_oliver
in reply to: farringer_nathan

Hi Nathan,

Did you ever figure this out, we are trying to do the exacr same thing?

Thanks

Andrew

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: a_oliver

Hi! It should be doable. The Title Block is snapped to the corner of choice on the border. If it does not work, something is wrong. Please share an example exhibiting the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12

The problem is not getting the titleblock to snap to either the top or bottom corner, but rather having the titleblock adjust to fill the entire right side. From all of the testing I did, it's not possible in the practical sense, but feel free to post an example.

Message 11 of 12
farringer_nathan
in reply to: a_oliver

Oliver,

I actually did come up with a way around this that works quite nicely. I never could get it to work with an image based company logo though, so you would have to re-create that in Inventor to be able to constrain it properly.

Instead of trying to explain everything I did, I'll just attach a basic example of what I did so you can see how it adjusts when changing sheet size. In the simplest terms, I added the upper half of my Title Block into my border sketch, since the border will automatically adjust, and keep my Company Information block docked in the upper right corner. The information within this area in my case would never change.

In the space that expands between the Company Information block, and Revision block is where I would typically be adding PE stamps as they are needed.

Any more questions, please ask and I will try and answer as best I can.

Message 12 of 12

Hi Nathan,

Many thanks for sharing the tips! I did not think about this. I will mark your reply as the solution.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report