Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Line Cuts using Laser

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ClintWestwood
2472 Views, 13 Replies

Single Line Cuts using Laser

I am working on a project where several holes in a sheet metal part will need to be cut as "knockouts". In previous years, either an engineer or the laser cutter programmer would set up the machine to partially cut a circle, but leave a gap to hold the knockout in place (basically a 340 degree arc).

Now that we are using Inventor, is there a way that we can create these features so that they show up in a dwg as a single line? It must be a single line; some of the holes are very small and if the laser makes more than one pass it could affect the integrity of the feature.

The closest I have gotten to accomplishing this is a surface extrusion on the folded part. When I send it to an .idw file, the line appears in the folded model, but I need it to appear in the flat pattern. I am attaching a simplified example to this post to help explain what I mean.

Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
-niels-
in reply to: ClintWestwood

If you right-click on the sketch of that surface extrusion and select "copy to flat-pattern", does that give satisfactory results when sent to the laser cutter?
(it copies the entire sketch, construction lines and all.)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 14
mcgyvr

I believe it should be done with a "punch" tool in Inventor that has a "simplfied representation" sketch.

I tried to find some help/tutorials on that for you but can't.. 

But I suspect its as easy as creating an extra sketch to select with your single arc during ide creation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 14
ClintWestwood
in reply to: -niels-

I copied the sketch to the flat pattern like you said, but the sketch on its own does not appear in a idw or dwg.

I tried to create the surface extrusion on the flat pattern's sketch as well, but the option to change an extrusion to a surface extrusion is grayed out in the flat pattern environment.
Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Message 5 of 14
andrewiv
in reply to: mcgyvr

Here is a quick punch tool that would accomplish what you want and your original part using this tool.  On the flat pattern you have to use a simplified representation of the punch to get the single line.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 6 of 14
karthur1

How about using the "New to 2014" Slot tool to draw a slot. Makes that really easy to sketch.  Make the width of the slot less than the kerf of the laser.  Not sure if the laser software will try to cut around the perimeter of the slot of not.

Then do an extrude cut.... that will show up in the flat pattern.

Kirk

2014-01-08_0858.png

Message 7 of 14
karthur1

@ClintWestwood wrote:
I copied the sketch to the flat pattern like you said, but the sketch on its own does not appear in a idw or dwg.

I tried to create the surface extrusion on the flat pattern's sketch as well, but the option to change an extrusion to a surface extrusion is grayed out in the flat pattern environment.

After you copy the sketch to the flat pattern, there is no need to make the extrude surface.  You can include the sketch by right clicking on the flat pattern in the idw browser and then "Get model Sketches".  You will have to manually hide the lines that defines the angle.

Kirk

2014-01-08_0906.png

Message 8 of 14
-niels-
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

@ClintWestwood wrote:

After you copy the sketch to the flat pattern, there is no need to make the extrude surface.  You can include the sketch by right clicking on the flat pattern in the idw browser and then "Get model Sketches".  You will have to manually hide the lines that defines the angle.

Kirk

You're right when it comes to showing it on an .idw, but i'm guessing he's exporting to .dxf to get it to the laser cutter.

I tried it myself and he's right, the sketch won't show up in the dxf.

The solution posted with the punch tool with simplified representation does work though.

And you could even set that up so the folded model would get an actual (full) hole, but the flat pattern shows only the simplified version.

So i'd say that that's probably the best way to handle this.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 14
ClintWestwood
in reply to: andrewiv

andrewiv's punch tool seems to have done the trick, thanks for everyone's help on this issue.
Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Message 10 of 14
ClintWestwood

andrewiv, How did you create your punch tool? I am trying to create a slightly different punch for a different set of holes, and the punches I am making keep producing multiple lines in my dwg as opposed to the single line which came out of your punch.

I tried to edit the punch you created, but I am having trouble with it.
Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Message 11 of 14
andrewiv

Start a new part and create the feature along with another sketch that represents the simplified punch.  Then in the Manage tab use the extract iFeature command to create the ide file.  Here is the dummy part that I used to create the iFeature.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 12 of 14
ClintWestwood

Could you please explain how the simplified punch/simplified representation works? I am self-taught in punch creation and have not needed to know how to use them in the past. I'm able to edit your dummy part, export the ifeature, and apply it to a new part. My dwg is still showing the whole punch.

I'm assuming there is a way to have the dwg show only the other "sketch that represents the simplified punch"?
Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
Message 13 of 14
andrewiv

Two things.  First, When you extract the iFeature you have to choose the sheet metal punch ifeature type.  Then select the extra sketch as the simplified representation of the punch.  Next when you create your flat pattern you have to choose how the punches show up.  Go into edit the flat pattern and on the punch representation tab you can select 2D sketch representation.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 14 of 14
ClintWestwood

That worked, thanks! I hadn't done the second step.
Inventor 2014
HP Pavilion dv6t-6b00
Intel Core i7 2670QM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report