Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single drawing for multiple extrusion

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rajeshindi
6432 Views, 6 Replies

Single drawing for multiple extrusion

I design press tools. Is there any ways in inventor 2012, where I can have only one common sketch in zero height and extrude profiles in different heights. Like plate no 1 @100 to 120mm (in vertical axis. A 20mm thick plate placed at 100mm above zero plane.) and plate no 2 in 150 to 175mm height and so on.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: rajeshindi

I would use 2 sketches.
One at the zero height origin plane for the plate sketch.
A second sketch to control the desired height points.

Extrude between height points as multi-body solids and then push out to individual part when finished.

If you can't figure it out - attach an example file here with your typical sketch 1 on the origin plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
rajeshindi
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDM,

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry, I was not able to access comp. for couple of days. 

Before I go on to my problems, I would like to thank and congratulate for all your inputs in this discussion group.  Good work.

Please refer to the attachment.  This is a simple example of how normally I create the multiple solid bodies.  Later I create assembly file and use the bolt connection for the screw holes.

In the attachment I have created 3 plates of same size plate except thickness.  Then I have created the punch profile.  Normally the punch profile would be same in all the plates except with different cleanrences between the punch and the plates.

If for argument, if I have the following options while extruding,

1.  From/To

(with ways to enter the from and to position in Z-axis.)  like to create the bottom most plate my entries would have been as below,

From - X0.00, Y0.00, Z0.00

To     -X0.00, Y0.00, Z50.00

I would have created all the 3 plates only (no round hole) at different height with only one sketch and no additional works.

2.  Offset and Boolean function

After creating the rectangle plates, using the offset funciton +boolean subtract option I would have extruded the round holes in all the plates with the required clearence.

These 3 above mentioned function would cover almost 50% of my work.  Any help?  Short cuts? Any opinion?

I am not sure if I can do faster in any other ways then what I have done.  I am using INV2012.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
rajeshindi

Any opinions?
Message 5 of 7
rajeshindi

Any comments from Autodesk?
Message 6 of 7

Hi Raje

if i understand correctly:

have you tried:

1) in an assembly, create the main sketch on a plain, this is just a sketch in the assembly not a part.

2) then create a new part and select the plain this sketch is on

3) the new part sketch window shows, you then project the geometry you require from the main sketch and extrude your parts

4) create the next part and repeat etc..

you can then add plains at different heights if required and work from these and project through.

you should be able to exactly what you want.

regards Adrian

Message 7 of 7
rajeshindi

Thanks for your reply. I always create multi solid bodies in a part files. I need to create same size multi bodies in different heights. Please refer to my attachment in top. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report