Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
palmhat
578 Views, 8 Replies

Simulation

In trying to establish the tongue weight on a trailer modification, which inventor analysis tool would I want to use. I tried Stress analysis employing a teeter block but that only showed deflection caused by the various weights and not the affect of gravity. The gravity feature required data I don't have at present but before going through another learning curve I think it best to verify the appropriate direction.

Thank You

Tony

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: palmhat

Do you have a Fixed Constraint at the tongue.
If you right click on the constraint after running the analysis can you get the Reaction Force?

Another option would be Unkown Force in Dynamic Simulation.

Can you attach your assembly or simplfied trailer representation part here with your FEA analysis study?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
palmhat

Thank You Sage Mather.

Placing the fixed constraint did the trick.

Tony

Message 4 of 9
palmhat

Oops. The reaction force on the fixed constraint isn't accurate. I find that none of the wieghts in inventor"s library corelate to the to established standards. I am using Thomas J Glover-2009 and saginawpipe.com as referances. I ran a test using a 4x 4x .25 x 12 square tube from content center. Placing a fixed constraint on any surface in conjunction with a gravity load perpendcular to it produces a reaction force of 11.03 lbs. The cited refs say it should be 12.21 lbs. I'll try the other sugestion unless there is something in my application here that could be addressed.

Thank You

Tony

Message 5 of 9
henderh

Hi Tony,

Have you checked the lbmass iProperty to see if it jives?

Stress Analysis calculates the body load reaction based upon the material density, Brep volume & acceleration.

Thanks, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 9
palmhat
in reply to: henderh

Hello Hugh,

I have tried to add lbmass to the parameters table but can't seem to manage it. I've gon to "Manage-Parameters" and have clicked left and right everywhere but between my ears and can not add lbmass to the table. The add menu at the bottom did add a User Parameter but there seems to be a step missing which would allow one to designate which parameter to add. How might I proceed?

Thank You-Tony

Message 7 of 9
henderh

Hi Tony,

My apologies, I should have been more clear.  We don't have to add any lbmass property to view the model's mass.

On the part node in the browser, RMB and go to the iProperties and check the lbmass weight there (physical tab):

4_Tony_iProps_2_Check_mass.png

Thanks, -Hugh

[Edit: If you need to investigate further, you can also edit the sqaure tube content's profile sketch and compare the region properties to handbook value:

Section_properties.png]

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 8 of 9
palmhat
in reply to: henderh

I thought I would have to add it because it said N/A when I looked there. After your last post I found it the same until.....

iprop_lbmass.jpg

I intend to manually update each component in my iam unless there might be a wiser and/or less cumbersome method. I also saw that the calculator icon did nothing and that it remained the same after doing the update. However, changing the mass to equal my working parameter replaced the calculator icon with a hand icon. How would I change it back to the initial update or the default "N/A" setting? This is really powerful as materials are not made "by the book" and the ability to convert to actual data will produce a more ressonable end result. Which inturn will help me convince upper management to buy another year of subscription.  

Now though, I am left with my original question. What method can I use to calculate the tongue weight on our modified trailer?

Thank You so much- Tony

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@tonyvamco wrote:

...How would I change it back to the initial  

Delete and hit Enter - it will revert to default.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report