Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Help

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
danibujak
680 Views, 7 Replies

Simulation Help

I'm trying to simulate a sprag clutch using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011 (student edition) but I'm having some trouble keeping two parts from rotating together.

The flange of the driving gear sits inside the clutch hub but the two should be free to rotate relative to each other. However, when I simulate the rotation of the gear, the clutch rotates with it as well. I can sort of simulate the desired behaviour by adding a torque to the clutch but I dont think this should be necessary.  

I can't attach the files because they're too large but I'm hosting them here: http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~bujakd/CAD.rar and here: https://sites.google.com/site/spizzaks/home/filehosting/CAD-Original.rar . The A4_Complete is the whole clutch, but for a simpler view A3 shows the issue I'm having.

Essentially Pink gear drives the Green gear, and the Orange clutch should slip on the grey flange of the green gear but it does not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: danibujak

What version of Inventor did you say you say you are using?

Can you open 2012 files?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
danibujak
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011 and no I don't think I can open 2012 files.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

Sorry, I missed where you stated 2011 in your first post.

I haven't looked at everything yet - but first thing I noticed is an i in circle in the browser.
Since the parts are already in position you do not need the Tangency.

Rolling Cylinders.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
danibujak
in reply to: JDMather

That makes sense, I'll fix that.

Message 6 of 8
danibujak

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try instead of applying a torque to solve the original issue?

Message 7 of 8
danibujak

Still trying to figure this one out if anyone has any suggestions...

Message 8 of 8
danibujak

So we finally figured this out. Turns out the initial speed of the clutch was being automatically set to the same speed as the gear it sat on. I changed it to be manually set to 0deg/s relative to the housing and it looks good now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report