Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation friction questions

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
safiredesignengineers
837 Views, 1 Reply

Simulation friction questions

Hi group

I want to do a simulation (see enclosed pictures) there is a plank set across the inside of a tube and the ends of the plank are in contact with the internal diameter of the tube, I don't want the plank to slip round the tube as a load is moving around the plank and from one side to the other of the plank. I have place a load on one side for the simulation. and the plank slips round when the simulation is run.

I have increased the surface contact area of the plank with end plates. the final design will be aluminum planks and with a rubber interface on the contact points.

what I would like to do is to simulate this to find out the best size of end pad and various other things with the design.

Questions:

1) does the simulator take into account the material type or will I always need to set a friction value regardless of material type

2) how do I get friction values are there charts out there for different material combinations and different contact methods

3) will I be able to simulate the compression / sponginess of the rubber in contact based on the applied weight?

4) does increasing the contact area do anything without friction settings or do I need the friction value and then as I increase the contact are the fiction effectively increases as well, although the friction value will stay static.

Regards Adrian

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

The Dynamic Simulation Module can only simulate rigid body motion. In english you cannot simulate the rubber compression/sponginess. The dynamic SImulation only takes material into account but only for the purposes of dynamics/kinematic and not friction.

Friction in dynamic simulation is enabled via joints and contact joints

On the other hand Autodesk Simulation Mechanical will allow you simulate your assembly including friction and material deformation etc.....

The best resource in my opinion to get friction values is from the manufactures and engineers handbook

Hope this help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report